NEW ORLEANS, Nov. 13, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Four special sessions and a keynote address by former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie will put sports betting in the spotlight when dozens of lawmakers convene at the National Council of Legislators from Gaming States Winter Meeting, January 4-6 in New Orleans.
The Winter Meeting agenda includes the following events related to sports betting:
- The Committee on Sports Betting will focus lessons learned from the states that commenced sports betting this year.
- The Committee on State-Federal Relations will focus on the prospective role of the federal government in sports betting.
- The International Masters of Gaming Law will hold a Masterclass that examines the legal and regulatory aspects of sports betting.
- Lee Richardson, CEO of Gaming Economics and a principal of Spectrum Gaming Sports Group, will provide an overview of sports betting for incoming legislators.
- Governor Christie, the original plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that in May 2018 forever changed the gambling landscape in the United States, shares his insights as to why he directed the State of New Jersey to vigorously pursue litigation despite continual setbacks in New Jersey and despite opposition from the major sports leagues.
Registration to attend the Winter Meeting is open to the public at http://www.nclgs.org/meetings.html
"The ongoing rollout of sports betting is a focal point in statehouses across the country. We have assembled an outstanding program to address many aspects of this important policy issue," said NCLGS Vice President and State Senator Keith Pickard. "Anyone with an interest in sports betting should attend our Winter Meeting."
More than 200 attendees, including dozens of state legislators, are expected to attend the three-day NCLGS Winter Meeting. The conference agenda includes:
- Six legislative committee sessions: Casinos, Emerging Forms of Gaming, Lotteries, Pari-Mutuels, Sports Betting/iGaming, and State-Federal Relations
- Two Masterclasses presented by the International Masters of Gaming Law
- Thursday evening welcome reception
- Friday evening attendee reception
- Saturday afternoon back-of-house tour of Harrah's New Orleans Casino
- Sunday general session focusing on the relationship between gaming and tourism
To view the NCLGS Winter Meeting agenda, register, and book hotel rooms at the host Harrah's New Orleans Hotel at special attendee rates, visit http://www.nclgs.org/meetings.html
NCLGS is the only organization of state lawmakers that meets on a regular basis to discuss issues relating to gaming. Members of NCLGS serve as chairpersons or members of state legislative committees responsible for the regulation of gaming in their state legislative houses. NCLGS does not promote or oppose gaming but is primarily concerned with the regulation and economic and social impacts of the industry. The NCLGS Foundation is the educational and research arm of NCLGS. The 501(c)(3) non-profit is a source of non-partisan data on issues of gaming legislation and regulation.
Spectrum Gaming Group, which has performed advisory and consulting work for gaming operators, regulators and legislatures in 36 US states and territories and in 47 countries on six continents, serves as the Executive Director of NCLGS.
SOURCE National Council of Legislators from Gaming States