Department of Environmental Protection Cooperates in Enforcement Effort
HARRISBURG, Pa., June 9 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Pennsylvania State Police, in cooperation the Department of Environmental Protection, placed 193 trash trucks out of service during a two-day enforcement effort that focused on commercial haulers, Commissioner Frank E. Pawlowski announced today.
"During this operation on June 2 and 3, state police motor carrier enforcement personnel focused their attention on trash trucks and identifying safety defects that can lead to crashes," Pawlowski said. "Inspections were conducted at landfills and waste transfer stations across the state."
Pawlowski said personnel inspected 892 trash trucks and weighed 676 trucks. State police issued 666 citations and 1,235 written warnings. The most common violations were inoperable rear lights and improperly adjusted brakes. Nineteen drivers were placed out of service.
For more information, visit www.psp.state.pa.us or call 717-346-7347.
Media contacts: Lt. Myra A. Taylor or Jack J. Lewis, 717-783-5556
Editor's Note: The following is a breakdown, by state police troop area, of the number of inspections conducted, number of vehicles placed out of service, and citations issued by state police during the two-day program. Troops H and T did not participate in the enforcement program.
- Troop A (Cambria, Indiana, Somerset and Westmoreland counties), 114 inspections;21 vehicles placed out of service; 56 citations;
- Troop B (Allegheny, Fayette, Greene and Washington counties), 105 inspections; 32 vehicles placed out of service; 61 citations;
- Troop C (Clarion, Clearfield, Forest, Elk, Jefferson and McKean counties), 54 inspections; four vehicles placed out of service; 16 citations;
- Troop D (Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Lawrence and Mercer counties), 69 inspections; six vehicles placed out of service; 21 citations;
- Troop E (Crawford, Erie, Venango and Warren counties), 23 inspections; seven vehicles placed out of service; 21 citations;
- Troop F (Cameron, Clinton, Lycoming, Montour, Northumberland, Potter, Snyder, Union and Tioga counties), 59 vehicles inspected; 12 vehicles placed out of service; 33 citations;
- Troop G (Bedford, Blair, Centre, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata and Mifflin counties), 76 inspections; 14 vehicles placed out of service; 41 citations;
- Troop J (Chester and Lancaster counties), 40 inspections; nine vehicles placed out of service; 21 citations;
- Troop K (Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties), 119 inspections; 28 vehicles placed out of service; 124 citations;
- Troop L (Berks, Lebanon and Schuylkill counties), 27 inspections; six vehicles placed out of service; 11 citations;
- Troop M (Bucks, Lehigh and Northampton counties), 63 inspections; nine vehicles placed out of service; 34 citations;
- Troop N (Carbon, Columbia, Monroe and part of Luzerne counties), 48 inspections; 12 vehicles placed out of service; 96 citations;
- Troop P (Bradford, Sullivan, Wyoming and part of Luzerne counties), 15 inspections; four vehicles placed out of service; 37 citations;
- Troop R (Lackawanna, Pike, Susquehanna and Wayne counties), 80 inspections; 18 vehicles placed out of service; 64 citations issued.
SOURCE Pennsylvania State Police Department