QUINCY, Mass., Sept. 7, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Parents and kids alike are focusing on all things back to school including buying new supplies, clothes and lunch boxes. To better learn what kids want to find in their new lunch boxes this season, Stop & Shop commissioned a survey of kids and young teens between the ages of 8 and 15 throughout New England.
In New England, sandwiches and wraps rule!
- The survey results show that when it comes to favorite lunchbox meals , 51% of kids report their favorite is either a ham or turkey sandwich, pizza is second at 37% while peanut butter and jelly sandwiches came in a distant third
- When asked about their favorite healthy options, 30% of kids prefer "veggie" or chicken wraps, 23% prefer just vegetables and 20% prefer salads
Mom is the best
- 59% of kids report their mothers make the best school lunches, 13% of kids say they make the best lunches and only 12% report their dads make the best lunch
Majority of kids bring their lunch to school
- 69% percent of kids in New England bring their lunch to school at least a few times a week and 27% reporting that they bring their lunch every day
- 55% of kids in New England say if they could make their own lunch it would make them feel happy and more independent, while 30% report it would make them feel proud and more confident
Variety is the spice of life
- 50% of kids selected that they wish they had more lunchbox meal options and a larger variety
- 14% of kids wish they had healthier lunchbox meal options
- 9% of kids report they would rather bring the best lunch to school over wearing the best pair of sneakers
Back to school lunch tips from Stop & Shop Nutritionist, Julie Hersey, MS. RD, LDN
- Have kids be actively involved in making their lunch as they will learn more about healthy eating
- Pack school lunches the night before to minimize morning rush
- Prepare extra food at dinner to have leftovers for school lunch the next day
- Create a school lunch menu for the week and make a list of items you need to purchase
- Look for sectioned or bento-style lunch boxes which helps with portion control and allows for a variety of food
- Put lunch box drinks and cold food storage containers (excluding those containing milk) in the freezer the night before so they can serve as lunch icepacks
- Be sure to put healthy options in your kids lunch box including granola bars and mixed fruit varieties for healthy snacks
- Never pack nuts in your kid's lunch box - even though your child may not be allergic to nuts, their classmates and lunch mates may be!
KRC Research conducted this research between August 3 and August 9, 2017 via an online survey of 849 kids, ages 8 to 15 years old.
About Stop & Shop
The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC employs over 61,000 associates and operates 414 stores throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey. The company helps support local communities fight hunger, combat childhood cancer and promote general health and wellness – with emphasis on children's educational and support programs. In its commitment to be a sustainable company, Stop & Shop is a member of the U.S. Green Building Council and EPA's Smart Way program and has been recognized by the EPA for the superior energy management of its stores. Stop & Shop is an Ahold Delhaize company. To learn more about Stop & Shop, visit stopandshop.com or facebook.com/stopandshop.
SOURCE Stop & Shop