NEW YORK, July 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- SUMOHEAVY (www.sumoheavy.com), a digital commerce strategy, design and development consulting firm, today announced the results from its 2016 Digital Commerce Survey, which explores consumer habits, preferences and sentiment as it relates to online shopping experiences and emerging trends. By better understanding consumer behavior, the study aims to uncover insights on how brands and retailers can better engage with shoppers in this evolving digital landscape.
According to the survey:
- 40% of respondents make online purchases very often, while only 9% state that they rarely or never shop online.
- 64% prefer shopping on mobile-optimized sites over native mobile apps.
- 62% use smartphones while shopping in person. Top reasons for this include: comparing prices (73%), searching for deals or coupons (58%) and reading product reviews (58%). Only 30% use their phones to find alternative products.
- 73% have heard of or are familiar with social buy buttons on platforms such as Facebook and Pinterest, but only 10% have used them before.
- 71% of respondents have encountered a virtual customer service agent while shopping online and 42% have interacted with one.
- When asked which product categories, if any, excite them when it comes to VR-powered online shopping experiences, respondents were most excited about clothing & apparel (52%) and consumer electronics (49%).
- Consumers under 30 are twice as likely to prefer shopping online through a smartphone.
"The survey results prove that the connected commerce era has arrived," said Bart Mroz, Co-founder and CEO of SUMOHeavy. "Consumers are no longer shopping entirely online or offline and instead taking a blended approach, using whatever channel best suits their needs. The most impactful shopping experiences will be at the intersection of the physical and digital worlds, leveraging technology to satisfy shoppers, wherever and whenever they want to shop."
Data from the 2016 Digital Consumer Survey indicates that brands and retailers need to become more streamlined and innovative with their digital offerings in order to offer a true omnichannel experience that delivers on consumer desires. By integrating flexible retailing options and user-friendly features with emerging technology, brands can improve the shopping experience and drive increased engagement and sales across all channels.
To access the full report, please visit: www.sumoheavy.com/survey
Founded in 2010 by Bart Mroz and Bob Brodie, SUMOHeavy is a digital commerce consulting firm located in New York City and Philadelphia. SUMO is made up of a team of experienced strategists, consultants, designers and developers who work together to help build successful brands and create online retail solutions with proven results.
For more information, please visit: www.sumoheavy.com/