MENLO PARK, Calif., June 17, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- After months of maneuvering through the coronavirus crisis, many employees are rethinking what's most important when it comes to their career, new research from global staffing firm Robert Half suggests. More than half of office professionals surveyed (57%) said they have experienced a shift in their feelings toward work due to the pandemic. Of those:
- 60% are more motivated to be employed at an organization that values its staff during unpredictable times
- 40% will prioritize their personal life over their job moving forward
- 33% want to pursue a more meaningful or fulfilling position
"This has been a time of reflection and reprioritization for businesses and people," said Paul McDonald, senior executive director of Robert Half. "Purpose is at the forefront of everyone's mind right now, and professionals are assessing whether their company's values align with their own. Employers should take this opportunity to reinforce for their teams the organization's mission and community involvement."
McDonald added, "As businesses focus on the future and when hiring ramps up, workers may begin to explore their options. Continuing to be flexible and responsive to employees' needs will be critical for retention."
- More employees ages 25 to 40 (68%) experienced a change of perspective due to the pandemic than respondents ages 41 to 54 (45%) and 55 and older (40%).
- Of respondents who said their feelings shifted during COVID-19:
- More women (65%) than men (56%) expressed interest in working for a company that appreciates its employees during uncertain times.
- Nearly an equal number of working parents (41%) and professionals without children (39%) reported a desire to place greater focus on personal versus professional activities.
For more insight on keeping staff engaged and loyal, check out Robert Half's 10 Lessons for Managing Your Staff in the COVID-19 Era.
About the Research
The online survey was developed by Robert Half and conducted by an independent research firm from May 14-19, 2020. It includes responses from more than 1,000 workers 18 years of age or older and normally employed in office environments in the United States.
About Robert Half
Founded in 1948, Robert Half is the world's first and largest specialized staffing firm. The company has more than 300 staffing locations worldwide and offers hiring and job search services at roberthalf.com. For additional management and career advice, visit the Robert Half blog at roberthalf.com/blog.
SOURCE Robert Half