MYRTLE BEACH, S.C., Aug. 24, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- This year marks the tenth year of the Grand Strand's Beach, Boogie & BBQ Festival, taking place Sept. 4 and Sept. 5 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. For this year's festival, contestants of the official barbecue championship of South Carolina will compete for cash prizes, totaling $9,500. Admission is free both days of this Kansas City Barbecue Society (KCBS) sanctioned event.
This family-friendly event will take place just in time to celebrate the end of summer during Labor Day weekend from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 4 and from noon to 10 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 5. The festival will be held at the Horry-Georgetown Technical College Conference Center on the Grand Strand Campus near Grand Park at The Market Common, located at 950 Crabtree Lane. Main stage will be located at the corner of Emmens Avenue and Crabtree Lane, with other festival elements surrounding.
The main cooking competition will occur on Saturday, Sept. 5. Back by popular demand, the public will again be able to sample BBQ with the purchase of a wristband for $10 between noon to 3 p.m. on Saturday. Children under the age of eight will be able to sample for free without the purchase of a wristband.
Two smaller cooking competitions – the Best Dessert Competition and the People's Choice Wings – will take place Friday, Sept. 4. Attendees can purchase tickets to sample contestants' wings.
Registration to compete in all three cooking events ends Aug. 28. This year's registration fee is $300 per team and is required with each team's application. You can find the application online here with specific submission instructions.
During the two-day festival, organized by Palmetto Event Productions, food vendors will have finger-lickin' BBQ sandwiches, BBQ combos and ribs on sale. There will also be live entertainment, arts & crafts exhibitors and a beer and wine garden with a wide selection of craft beers. Parking for the event is free and available throughout the Market Common area and HGTC campus buildings along Pampas Avenue. There will be a handicap parking lot near the intersection of Pampas Avenue and Crabtree Lane.
Along with the cooking competitions, attendees will be able to enjoy a number of other competitions and events throughout the two days, including the Myrtle Beach Car Club Show on Saturday, Sept. 5 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Festival highlights will include:
Friday, Sept. 4 - (festivities from 6 to 9:30 p.m.)
- Wing Competition and Tasting – 6 p.m. until samples are sold out. – Barbecue cook teams will be competing, and the public can purchase wings from the barbecue sales tent.
- Live Entertainment on The Main Stage – 6 to 9:30 p.m. – Get ready for a great line-up of entertainment and dance to some of your favorite music! Bring chairs and blankets (no coolers allowed). Main stage, corner of Emmens Avenue and Crabtree Lane. Free to the public.
- Beer and Wine Garden – 6 to 9:30 p.m. – Enjoy cold beer and wine selections at the newly expanded Beer and Wine Garden.
Saturday, Sept. 5 - (festivities from Noon to 10 p.m.)
- Corn Hole Competition – Noon to 4 p.m. – Only $10 to register a team of two/$5 to register one player. Registration and warm-ups begin at 10 a.m. Cash prizes include a cash payout of 80 percent of entire pot to 1st place, 20 percent of entire pot to 2nd place (hosted by Coastal Tailgating).
- Kansas City Barbecue Society (four meat categories) – Noon to 2 p.m. – Barbecue cook teams will be competing in the official barbecue competition of South Carolina in four meat categories – pork, ribs, brisket and chicken. More than $9,000 in cash prizes at stake and a lot of bragging rights. Come watch as teams prepare this savory food and turn into the judges. No public sampling.
- Myrtle Beach Car Club Cruise In – Noon to 3 p.m. – Registration and load-in begins at 10 a.m. on Crabtree Lane. For more information, call Cecil Chandler at (843) 742-9802.
- Beer and Wine Garden – Noon to 10 p.m. – Enjoy cold beer and wine selections at the newly expanded Beer and Wine Garden.
- Live Entertainment on The Main Stage – Noon to 9:30 p.m. – Come back for another great line-up of entertainment and make sure to have your dancing shoes! Chairs and blankets are recommended (no coolers allowed). Main stage, corner of Emmens Avenue and Crabtree Lane. Free to the public.
- Announcement of Official S.C. Barbecue Championship HGTC Culinary Institute check presentations – 5 p.m. – Learn which competitor will earn the Grand Champion title and which competitors will receive prize money. Main stage, corner of Emmens Avenue and Crabtree Lane.
The City of Myrtle Beach, the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, VisitMyrtleBeach.com, Myrtle Beach Mobile, Horry-Georgetown Technical College and, OneMain Financial are proud sponsors of the Tenth Annual Beach, Boogie & BBQ Festival.
For more festival information, visit www.MyrtleBeachEventInfo.com or call (843) 855-0527.
SOURCE Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce / CVB