DALLAS, Sept. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) has been named again as a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) – North America for the fifth year, a recognition that underscores TI's commitment to social and environmental stewardship.
"We are pleased to be included once again on this important index," said Trisha Cunningham, TI Chief Citizenship Officer. "The recognition acknowledges our dedication to continuously improving the sustainability of our company – reducing our impact on the environment, caring for our employees and neighboring communities and increasing shareholder value."
TI is among four companies in the technology sector named to the North American index by the Dow Jones Indexes and global sustainable investing firm SAM, which annually review 2,500 companies to create the sustainability indexes. Companies named to the list meet high standards for economic, corporate and social responsibility performance. The index is a key resource for investors seeking opportunities to engage with companies committed to responsible business practices.
The annual review of the index analyzes corporate economic, environmental and social performance, assessing issues such as corporate governance, risk management, product stewardship, climate change mitigation, supply chain standards and labor practices.
Some of TI's 2010 achievements in these areas include:
- Opened Kilby Labs India to foster innovations in energy efficiency, bio-electronics and life sciences
- Decreased energy required to design, market and manufacture a semiconductor chip by 24 percent and water required by 20 percent
- Recycled 95 percent of our waste
- Named to Working Mother Magazine's Hall of Fame
- Granted $28.2 million to support education, cultural and community initiatives
- Released multi-year sustainability goals
- Achieved the Global Reporting Initiative self-assessed Application Level A
For more on TI's sustainability performance, see: www.ti.com/ccr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
SOURCE Texas Instruments