AUSTIN, Texas, Nov. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Mutual Insurance Company, a policyholder-owned company and the state's leading provider of workers' compensation insurance, today launched a statewide initiative encouraging Texans to drive safely during the holidays.
This year, the company has seen an increase in motor vehicle fatalities among its policyholders. This pattern is consistent with driver-fatality statistics from the Texas Department of Insurance, which show that after nine years of improvement, fatalities have again been on the rise since 2010 with nearly 3,000 deaths in 2014 alone.
The Permian Basin, Eagle Ford Shale and other hotbeds of oil and gas drilling activity have been hit particularly hard.
As a company whose mission is to promote and help create a safer work environment in Texas, Texas Mutual is challenging all Texans to follow a few basic safe-driving precautions this winter.
- Always carry a cellphone—you can call for help, and emergency personnel can trace the signal
- Prepare and know your vehicle—routinely inspect your tires, brakes, windshield wipers, antifreeze and washer fluid
- Keep an emergency kit in your vehicle—include warm clothing, a blanket or sleeping bag, a first aid kit, a flashlight with extra batteries, a candle, matches and even kitty litter, which you can spread under your tires for traction in case you get stuck in the snow
- Beware of ice—avoid bridges, overpasses and hilly roads during frigid temperatures
- Warm up your engine—it won't only keep you warm, it will give the oil a chance to warm and the coolant an opportunity to circulate
- Fasten your seatbelt—it's still the most effective thing drivers and passengers can do to save lives and reduce serious injuries
- Take care of yourself—get plenty of rest before you operate a vehicle, and make sure you are in the best condition to do so. If you get tired, pull over to a safe place and rest.
- Control your speed—this is especially important if roads are slick, visibility is poor or you are transporting items, such as a Christmas tree, presents or luggage.
- Check and recheck your transport materials—be sure everything inside and outside of your car is secure, and recheck materials every time you stop
- Eliminate distractions—that includes eating and talking or texting on your cellphone. And remember that hands-free devices are no safer than hand-held devices.
For more safe driving and general workplace safety tips, visit worksafetexas.com.
About Texas Mutual Insurance Company
Austin-based Texas Mutual Insurance Company, a policyholder-owned company, is the state's leading provider of workers' compensation insurance. Texas Mutual provides coverage to 39 percent of the market, representing over 60,000 companies, many of which are small businesses. Since 1991, the company has provided a stable, competitively priced source of workers' comp insurance for Texas employers. Helping employers prevent workplace accidents is an important part of Texas Mutual's mission.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/texas-mutual-insurance-company-encourages-drivers-to-travel-safely-during-the-holidays-300000334.html
SOURCE Texas Mutual Insurance Company