WASHINGTON, April 21, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, for the 45th consecutive year, the American Conservative Union Foundation (ACU) released its ratings of members of the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate based on their votes on key measures of importance to conservatives. This year's rankings may be the most consequential yet as American voters prepare to elect a new president in a tumultuous political year, and conservative American voters are intent on holding accountable their elected congressional representatives.
At an event to be held April 26th in the U.S. Capitol, ACU will present awards to those members of Congress who scored 80% or above, reflecting a strongly conservative voting record.
In addition to its annually anticipated congressional ratings, this year ACU has produced the nation's first 50-state comprehensive legislative rating guide with scores for more than 7,500 individual state legislators.
"Our comprehensive scoring covers all issues of interest to conservatives, seeking to balance President Ronald Reagan's three-legged stool of economic, national security, and cultural conservatism," said ACU Chairman Matt Schlapp. "Members of Congress with the highest scores voted most consistently with the ideals articulated in the U.S. Constitution: limited and transparent government, individual rights, and personal responsibility."
House and Senate Averages:
- Combined Senate average: 44% (up from 39% in 2014)
- Senate Republican average: 79% (down from 81% in 2014)
- Combined House average: 45% (no change from 2014)
- House Republican average: 77% (up from 76% in 2014)
Lifetime Ratings for Presidential Candidates:
- Senator Ted Cruz: 100% (3 years in Senate)
- Governor John Kasich: 88% (18 years in House)
- Secretary Hillary Clinton: 8.13% (8 years in Senate)
- Senator Bernie Sanders: 6.31% (25 years in House and Senate)
- [Notable - President Barack Obama: 10% (4 years in Senate)]
Founded in 1964, the American Conservative Union (ACU) is the nation's original conservative organization. For more than fifty years, ACU has served as an umbrella organization harnessing the collective strength of conservative organizations fighting for Americans who are concerned with liberty, personal responsibility, traditional values, and strong national defense.
Contact: Zach Crandell
(602) 432-8007 [email protected]
SOURCE American Conservative Union Foundation