ATLANTA, March 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- In recognition of National Single Parent's Day on March 21, Georgia-Pacific's Angel Soft® toilet paper brand has launched a poignant video celebrating the nation's 12 million single parents1. The video shares the daily struggles, sacrifices and triumphs of three single parents and culminates with a granted wish to help make their everyday lives a little easier.
The three featured parents include:
- Liz – Flowery Branch, GA – Finding quality daycare is Liz's biggest daily challenge as she works three jobs to provide for her and her three-year-old daughter. The Angel Soft brand will pay for preschool for one year.
- Jonathan – Metairie, LA – Jonathan was raised by a single mother who passed away when he was 14. He is now raising his three-year-old son on his own. The Angel Soft brand will cover his childcare costs for one year.
- Kylia – Lawrenceville, GA – Kylia has moved nearly every year over the past decade in an effort to find the best home for her and her 11-year-old daughter. She is currently living in a friend's basement. The Angel Soft brand will pay one year's rent so they can live in a safer home.
"Liz, Jonathan and Kylia's stories are just examples of the extraordinary journey that single parents are on every single day," says Andrew Noble, senior brand director for Angel Soft. "Through our video tribute, we hope to not only honor them, but to build awareness for National Single Parent's Day, while encouraging others to recognize the single parents in their lives."
The Angel Soft National Single Parent's Day campaign is the latest installment of the brand's mission to highlight the softness and strength of all types of families to handle life's circumstances.
"Being a parent is one of the toughest jobs in the world and those who do it alone are an inspiration to all of us," said Karen Costello, Executive Creative Director, Deutsch. "This year, the Angel Soft brand wanted to recognize the amazing strength of single moms and dads across the country. In working with these families, we uncovered stories of the hardships they encounter every day, and the brand wanted to lend a hand. We hope the gifts will provide some relief to these families, knowing their communities are rallying around them."
Single parenthood is a growing trend. And, the facts show that they face more challenges than multi-parent households:
- There are 12 million single parent families in the U.S.2
- Eighty-four percent - 9.8 million – of single parent households are single mother families and
16 percent are single father families.3
- The median income for families led by a single mother in 2013 was about $26,000, one-third the median for married couple families ($84,000). Nearly half of single mother households have an annual income less than $25,0004. Thirty-nine percent of single dads have an annual family income of $50,000 or more5.
- The annual cost of center-based infant care averaged more than 40 percent of the state median income for a single mother6.
Visit www.angelsoft.com for more details.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia-Pacific and its subsidiaries are among the world's leading manufacturers and marketers of bath tissue, paper towels and napkins, tableware, paper-based packaging, office papers, cellulose, specialty fibers, nonwoven fabrics, building products and related chemicals. Our familiar consumer brands include Quilted Northern®, Angel Soft®, Brawny®, enMotion®, Sparkle®, Mardi Gras® and Vanity Fair®, as well as Dixie®. Its GP Harmon subsidiary is among the world largest recyclers of paper, metal and plastics. The company employs approximately 35,000 people directly, and creates nearly 92,000 jobs indirectly. For more information, visit: www.gp.com.
1 U.S. Census Bureau, 2016
2 U.S. Census Bureau, 2016
3 U.S. Census Bureau, 2016
4 U.S. Census Bureau, 2016
5 U.S. Census Bureau, 2016