WASHINGTON, March 21, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- The Cohen Group, a global business advisory firm, announced today that David H. Rank, a former senior U.S. diplomat with deep experience in China, will be the new lead of the firm's China practice. Dave retired from the U.S. Foreign Service in 2017 as the Deputy Chief of Mission at the U.S. Embassy to China. In this capacity, Dave ran the Embassy's day-to-day operations, worked closely with his counterparts in Washington and Beijing, and served as the Chargé d'Affaires for the six months prior to Ambassador Terry Branstad's arrival in Beijing. Dave joined The Cohen Group as a Senior Advisor in December 2017.
Throughout his 27 year career in the U.S. Foreign Service, Dave performed with excellence in various postings around the world. "Dave is deeply respected within the Foreign Service and around the world, and he will bring excellent insights to our clients in China and other markets," said former Secretary of Defense Bill Cohen, the Chairman and CEO of The Cohen Group.
In addition to his final assignment in Beijing, Dave served in five other positions in the region: two prior posts at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing, two at the America Institute in Taiwan, and one at the U.S. Consulate General in Shanghai. He has also served at the U.S. Embassies in Afghanistan, Greece, and Mauritius. Dave's domestic assignments included Director of the State Department's Office on Afghanistan Affairs, Senior Advisor to the Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Special Assistant to the Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, and the Desk Officer for the Republic of Korea.
From 2012 to 2013, Dave served as a Dean and Virginia Rusk Fellow at Georgetown University's Institute for the Study of Diplomacy. In 2015, Dave was awarded the State Department's Distinguished Honor Award for his role in the release of the only American service member held by the enemy in Afghanistan. He is also the recipient of the American Foreign Service Association's Sinclaire Award for the study of languages and cultures.
In addition to his role at The Cohen Group, Dave is a Senior Fellow at the Energy Policy Institute at the University of Chicago. Dave speaks Mandarin, French, Dari, and Greek. A native of Chicago, Dave attended the University of Illinois. He is married with three children.
Dave joins a number of senior leaders at The Cohen Group with deep experience in China and around the world. In addition to Secretary Cohen, these leaders include:
- General Joseph Ralston, former NATO Supreme Allied Commander and Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Ambassador Marc Grossman, former U.S. Ambassador to Turkey, former Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, and former U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Ambassador Nicholas Burns, former Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs and U.S. Ambassador to NATO and Greece
- Admiral James Loy, former Deputy Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security and Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard
- Ambassador Jeff Davidow, former Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs and U.S. Ambassador to Mexico, Venezuela, and Zambia
- Lord George Robertson, former NATO Secretary General and Defense Minister of the United Kingdom
- General Paul Kern, former Commander of the Army Materiel Command and the Senior Adviser for Army Research, Development and Acquisition
- Lt. General Joe Yakovac, former Director of the Army Acquisition Corps and Military Deputy to the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics and Technology
- Lt. General Harry Raduege, former Director of the Defense Information Systems Agency and Commander of the Joint Task Force Global Network Operations
- Ambassador Arun Singh, former Indian Ambassador to the U.S., France, and Israel
- William Zarit, current Chairman of AmCham China, former Minister for Commercial Affairs at the U.S. Embassy in China, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Commerce for International Operations, and former Regional Director for East Asia at the U.S. Department of Commerce
About The Cohen Group:
Formed in 2001, The Cohen Group is comprised of more than 60 professionals with many decades of combined experience working in top-level positions in Congress, the White House, the State Department, the Defense Department, the Department of Homeland Security, the intelligence community, other federal agencies, and in European and Asian governments, international organizations and the private sector.
With offices in Washington, London, Beijing, Tianjin, and New Delhi, The Cohen Group provides its clients the insights and intelligence needed to better understand and shape the business, political, legal, regulatory, and media environments in which they operate. This includes both developing strategic business plans to help clients achieve their objectives, and actively participating with clients in the execution of those plans. The Cohen Group practice groups include Aerospace & Defense; Homeland Security; Middle East; China; India; Telecommunications and Information Technology; Energy & Resources; Transportation & Logistics; Health Care & Life Sciences; Financial Services & Investment; and Real Estate, serving clients in North America, East Asia, South Asia, Europe, Russia, Australia, Africa and Latin America.
The Cohen Group also has a strong strategic partnership with DLA Piper, an international law firm with over 4,200 lawyers and 71 offices in 30 countries throughout the world.
SOURCE The Cohen Group