ALISO VIEJO, Calif., March 17, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Smith Micro Software (NASDAQ: SMSI) today announced a new release of its industry-leading comic software, Manga Studio®, which now includes frame-by-frame animation features and a rebrand to Clip Studio Paint®. The new release enables digital artists to create classical animations from their designs using a sequence of drawings that flow automatically to create the illusion of movement. The new version will be demonstrated at the inaugural Silicon Valley Comic Con, March 18-20, 2016, in San Jose, CA. Smith Micro will also offer special pricing of $20 USD (55% off of retail) for the standard version, Clip Studio Paint Pro, through March 21, 2016.
"Comic and manga artists love Clip Studio Paint because it offers very natural drawing movement along with advanced tools to fine tune and accelerate the creative process," said Fahim Niaz, director of product management at Smith Micro. "We're excited to showcase the new release of Clip Studio Paint at the first-ever Silicon Valley Comic Con, where the expectations for technical excellence and creativity will be high, and our comic and animation software on display will not disappoint."
"The new cel animation features in Clip Studio Paint are surprisingly easy! I was able to grasp the capabilities rapidly despite never doing much in animation before. It's a great addition to an already great product," said PJ Holden, comic artist and contributor to British sci-fi comic 2000AD, with drawings such as Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper and many others.
New Clip Studio Paint 1.5.4 includes the following features:
- Cel animation Also known as frame-by-frame or traditional animation, this technique makes an object or character appear to move on its own. The artist can draw individual cels (frames), which act as transparent sheets that can be layered, and create the illusion of movement when the series of cels is played as a continuous sequence.
- Animation timeline This feature provides granular control over timing and display adjustments to create fluid movement of the animations.
- Light table function The light table illuminates pages, rendering them semi-transparent and making it easier to use multiple layers for reference, which is ideal for creating in-betweens (transitions between cels), and clean-line art for cels and illustrations.
- Onion skin display Onion skinning is a technique used in creating animated cartoons and editing movies to see several cels at once, allowing the animator or editor to determine how to create or adjust an image based on the previous image in the sequence.
- Multiple export options Drawings and animations can be exported as sequential images, GIFs, and movie formats.
Existing Manga Studio customers will receive the new version of Clip Studio Paint free of charge. New customers can purchase Clip Studio Paint online, with discounted pricing on both the standard and advanced versions for a limited time. To see a demonstration of Clip Studio Paint and other Smith Micro animation products at Silicon Valley Comic Con, visit them at booth # 947.
About Smith Micro Software, Inc.: Smith Micro provides software to simplify and enhance the mobile experience. Our network access, insights and optimization solutions ensure the best Quality of Experience for wireless users, while embedded mobile software creates new opportunities for wireless service providers and B2C businesses to engage with consumers via smartphones. Our portfolio also includes content monetization solutions such as visual messaging, video streaming, and a variety of 2D and 3D graphics applications. For more information, visit smithmicro.com. (NASDAQ: SMSI)
Safe Harbor Statement:
This release may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties including, without limitation, forward-looking statements relating to the company's financial prospects and projections, the company's ability to increase its business, and the anticipated timing and financial performance of new products. Among the important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements are new and changing technologies, customer acceptance of those technologies, fluctuations or cancellations in orders from customers, new and continuing adverse economic conditions, and the company's ability to compete effectively with other software companies. These and other factors discussed in the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its filings on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, could cause actual results to differ materially from those presented in any forward-looking statements. Smith Micro assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date of this press release.
Smith Micro and the Smith Micro logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Smith Micro Software, Inc. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Smith Micro Software, Inc.
+1 (949) 362-5800
SOURCE Smith Micro Software, Inc.