DUBAI, UAE, September 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Nikon is pleased to announce the release of the lightest and smallest FX-format DSLR camera. This new camera offers excellent performance and a 24.3-megapixel image sensor for superior image quality.
Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the release of its new D600 digital SLR camera. Despite having the smallest and lightest body among Nikon FX-format cameras, the D600 offers advanced performance. It is equipped with a new FX-format CMOS image sensor with 24.3-million effective pixels and the same EXPEED 3 image-processing engine built into high-end Nikon DSLRs (D4, D800, D800E) for superior definition and image quality.
The D600 is the latest and most compact model in the Nikon FX-format digital SLR lineup at approx. 141 (W) × 113 (H) × 82 (D) mm, 760 g. It is extremely portable, yet it offers the superior image quality and rendering performance, operation, and durability of high-end FX-format D-SLRs. In addition to a new FX-format CMOS image sensor with 24.3-million effective pixels and the same EXPEED 3 image-processing engine built into high-end models, the D600 boasts a number of advanced features, including an optical viewfinder with 100%frame coverage, a large and clear 3.2-inch LCD monitor with wide angle viewing, and the same dust and water-resistance as the D800 and D800E. What's more, this FX-format camera also supports the complete DX NIKKOR lens lineup for greater convenience with both still image shooting and movie recording. The D600 makes full use of its 24.3-million effective pixels with high-resolution, full-HD movie recording (1920 × 1080/30p). It is also equipped with the Multi-area mode Full-HD D-Movie function, which enables recording in either FX- or DX-based movie format for more creative freedom.
With shooting in FX format.
•D600 Development Background
Nikon has been strengthening and expanding its FX-format digital SLR camera lineup, most recently with the release of the D4, the new flagship model that offers the ultimate function and performance, followed by the D800 and D800E, both equipped with a 36.3-million pixel CMOS image sensor for incredible definition and image quality. The D600 was developed to bring fun and enjoyment to a wide range of FX-format users. It offers the superior rendering characteristics, image quality, operation, and the durability of previous FX-format D-SLRs in a body that is compact, lightweight, and easy to use. The D600 is not only suitable for advanced amateur and professional photographers, but also for photo enthusiasts who want to expand their creativity.
•D600 Primary Features
The most compact and lightweight Nikon FX format DSLR camera The D600 measures approximately 141.0 × 113.0 × 82.0 mm (W × H × D) and weighs approximately 760 g, making it extremely compact and light. In addition to adopting a lightweight and durable magnesium alloy for the top and rear body covers, it also effectively seals the camera from dust and water like the D800 and D800E.
1. A new 24.3-megapixel FX-format CMOS image sensor for superior image quality and resolution over a broad range of sensitivities
The D600 is equipped with a new FX-format CMOS image sensor with 24.3-million effective pixels to ensure a high signal-to-noise ratio and a broad dynamic range. The camera supports ISO 100 to ISO 6400 for beautiful images with very little noise and rich tones. The range of sensitivities can also be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 50 (Lo 1) or up to ISO 25600 equivalent (Hi 2).
What's more, NIKKOR lenses equipped with Nikon's advanced optical technologies can maximise the performance of the D600's FX-format CMOS sensor to offer clear and sharp images with the finest details.
2. The EXPEED 3 image-processing engine, optimised for the D600, offers superior and high-speed processing
The D600 is equipped with the same EXPEED 3 high-speed image-processing engine built into the D4, D800, and D800E Nikon FX-format cameras. The EXPEED 3 image-processing engine has been optimised for digital SLR cameras to offer faster and better performance for rendering, vivid color reproduction, and capturing a broad dynamic range. It also effectively reduces noise for still images captured at high sensitivities under dim lighting, while preserving definition and sharpness. Special noise-reduction was designed to maintain crisp, clear outlines in movies recorded in low-light situations.
3. Excellent camera performance and operational comfort
The Multi-CAM4800 autofocus sensor tracks the intended subject with 39 focus points. Cross-type sensors have been adopted for the nine most frequently used focus points at the center of the frame. In addition, seven focus points (5 horizontal focus points and 1 above and below the center of the frame) are fully functional at f/8. This delivers more precise autofocusing when super-telephoto NIKKOR lenses are used with a teleconverter (2.0×).
What's more, the precise Scene Recognition System analyzes detailed scene brightness and colour information acquired from the 2,016-pixel RGB sensor, and applies that information to autofocus, automatic exposure, i-TTL balanced fill-flash, and white balance control.
The D600 is also equipped with a high-magnification optical viewfinder that supports an approx. 100% frame coverage in FX format and a magnification of approximately 0.7×. The 3.2-inch, approximately 921k-dot monitor with wide angle viewing is equipped with a sensor that automatically controls brightness and contrast according to ambient lighting conditions to ensure clear viewing. Dual SD memory card slots (SDXC, UHS-I* compliant) enable smoother still-image and movie recording.
 With 50-mm f/1.4 lens at infinity,-1.0m-
4. Full-HD movie recording at 1920 x 1080/30p and Multi-area mode movie recording available in two formats
By simply pressing the movie-record button next to the shutter-release in the movie live view mode, users can enjoy video recording that optimises the camera's 24.3-million effective pixels. Not only does the D600 support full-HD movie recording at 1920 × 1080/30p, but the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video compression standard ensures that superior picture quality is maintained while data is compressed to record a single movie for up to 29 minutes and 59 seconds.
The Multi-area mode Full-HD D-Movie function offers two movie formats, the FX-based movie format or the DX-based movie format to record full-HD 1920 × 1080/30p (both FX- and DX lenses can be used). The FX-based movie format makes full use of the large image sensor and offers a shallow depth-of-field with an emphasis on blur characteristics while the DX-based movie format is optimal for recording movies and bringing subjects closer when lenses with short focal lengths are used.
The D600 is also equipped with a headphone jack so that headphones may be used to check sound, and movies can be viewed simultaneously in the camera's monitor and in an external monitor via the movie live view display. Uncompressed movie data can also be output to an external recorder via the built-in HDMI interface, and the time-lapse photography function can be used to automatically photograph relatively slow moving action, such as the blooming of a flower and the passing of clouds, at specified intervals. The camera then combines the photos and records them as a silent time-lapse movie.
Maximum length is 20 minutes with some frame size/rate and movie quality settings.
Movies are recorded with an aspect ratio of 16 : 9 regardless of the format selected.
5. Connect with smart devices through the WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter
By using the WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter (sold separately), you can easily transfer your high-quality photos from your digital SLR to a smart device. The smart device can also be used to control camera shooting as a remote with a live view display. Images captured with the D600 can be transferred to a smart device over a wireless network connection (remote movie recording is not supported). The WU-1b immediately transfers photos and also allows you to upload them to blogs and social networks to share with friends and family.
 Android smartphones running 2.3.x or 4.0 Android tablets running OS version 3.x or 4.0 are supported. iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) running 5.1 and 5.1.1 are supported.
The Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility app must first be installed on the smart device. The app can be downloaded free of charge from the smart device's app store.
• Additional D600 Features and Functions
- Extremely fast response with high-speed continuous shooting at approximately 5.5 fps*, a power-up time of approximately 0.13 s*, and a shutter-release time lag of approximately 0.052 s*. The virtual horizon feature not only displays horizontal tilt to the left or right (roll), but also forward and backward tilts (pitch; only the roll indicator is displayed in the viewfinder).
- Equipped with a built-in flash that covers the wide-angle of a 24-mm lens with a guide number of approximately 12/39 (m/ft, ISO 100, 20°C/68°F). The built-in commander function enables wireless control with up to two groups of remote optional flash units with the built-in flash serving as the master flash.
- New Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D14 (sold separately), which holds Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries EN-EL15 and AA batteries (alkaline, lithium, Ni-MH).
- The durable shutter unit has passed testing for approximately 150,000 cycles, and supports a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000s with a flash sync speed of 1/200s. The shutter is equipped with a monitor function that automatically detects errors between the specified shutter speed and actual shutter speed.
- A locking mechanism on the mode dial prevents accidental adjustment of the shooting mode. Operation has also been improved by positioning the mode dial on top of the release mode dial.
- The Independent Picture Control and movie-record buttons make the camera easier to operate.
- A live view selector makes the live view operation more convenient with smooth switching between live view photography and movie live view.
- Nikon's image browsing and editing software, ViewNX 2, is included in the purchase.
*Measured according to CIPA guidelines.
*Google, Android, and Google Play are trademarks or registered trademarks of Google Inc.
*iPad, iPhone and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries.
*Products, brand names and service names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
The information is current as of the date of publication. It is subject to change without notice.
For more information, please contact:
Nikon Middle East FZE