NEW YORK, Jan. 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the Iowa caucus approaching talk about the presidential elections is in the news everyday and we've heard nothing from the presidential candidates about grid security, according to Ted Koppel, a veteran American broadcast journalist. Koppel reveals in his new book Lights Out that a devastating cyber attack on America's power grid is not only possible but likely and that the United States is shockingly unprepared. "The Grid Cyberthreat - Are We Prepared?" – a webinar by Penton's The Energy Times will be held on Wednesday, February 3 at 2 p.m. Eastern. Click here to register.
"Well I'd like it to become the object of a national conversation," Koppel told The Energy Times. "I certainly think this is an issue that deserves the attention of presidential candidates, and I'm hoping that at some point or another it will be on their agenda. It needs to be. It's not something that can easily be handled after the fact."
During the digital event Koppel will discuss in a pre-recorded interview how a devastating cyber attack on our power grid is likely in the future. Following The Energy Times' editor-in-chief, Marty Rosenberg, will convene a panel made up of the key utility and government leaders responsible for protecting the grid and the American public. They will respond to Koppel's allegations of how the utility sector and government is failing short on protecting the American public, the policies and strategies in place to address these concerns and will explore what it will take in the future to reduce the risk Koppel has brought to the attention of the American public.
Live webinar participants include:
- Caitlin A. Durkovich, Assistant Secretary for Infrastructure Protection National Protection and Programs Directorate, U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Patricia Hoffman, Assistant Secretary for Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability, U.S. Department of Energy
- Gerry Cauley, President and CEO, North American Electric Reliability Corp.
- Kevin Wailes, Vice Chair, Electric Subsector Coordinating Council, Lincoln Electric System Administrator and Chief Executive Officer
- Edna M. Conway, Chief Security Officer, Global Value Chain, Cisco Systems, Inc.
During "The Grid Cyberthreat - Are We Prepared?" webinar attendees will learn:
- What critics are saying about utility industry shortcomings on the security front – and understand the public anxiety that may engender customers, ratepayers and voters.
- What policymakers and industry leaders are doing to address valid criticisms – and what organizations can and must do to achieve heightened grid security.
- What technological software and hardware fixes are on the horizon that utilities and regulators will have to adopt and adapt to in coming years.
- How utilities, both large and small, need to understand the implications of a cyber attack and how it could threaten the safety of customers.
- How state regulators, legislators and federal agencies can keep the American public safe.
Rosenberg said, "This is an event not to be missed. This webinar will help attendees deepen their understanding of the problem, the public perceptions and misperceptions and the policy, regulatory, technical and human resource strategies for addressing the risks that Ted Koppel and others have now put before the American public and the institutions that serve them."
To register to attend the free "The Grid Cyberthreat - Are We Prepared?" webinar visit: http://tdworld.com/webinar/grid-cyberthreat-are-we-prepared?partnerref=%20TETFeb16WS_press_001
ABOUT THE ENERGY TIMES
The Energy Times provides insight on the business and strategy of generation, delivering and using electric power. Coverage includes the news, trends and solutions that impact both energy providers and energy customers in the new energy landscape.
Penton is an innovative information services company that empowers 20 million business decision makers in markets that drive more than 12 trillion dollars in purchases each year. Our products inform with rich industry insights and workflow tools; engage through dynamic events, education and networking; and advance business with powerful marketing services programs. Penton is the way smart businesses buy, sell and grow.
Headquartered in New York, Penton is privately owned by MidOcean Partners and Wasserstein & Co., LP. For more information, visit http://www.penton.com or follow us on Twitter @PentonNow.
The Energy Times