SAN FRANCISCO, March 30, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Linux Foundation, the nonprofit organization enabling mass innovation through open source, announced that 16 new organizations have joined the Foundation as Silver members. Linux Foundation members help support development of the greatest shared technology resources in history, while accelerating their own innovation through open source leadership and participation.
With the support of its members, The Linux Foundation hosts open source projects across technologies including networking, security, cloud, Blockchain and more. This collaborative development model is helping technology advance at a rapid pace in a way that benefits individuals and organizations around the world.
"These new members realize that we can do much more together than apart," said Jim Zemlin, executive director, The Linux Foundation. "Collaborative development is changing the way technology is developed for the benefit of everyone."
In addition to joining the Foundation, many of these new members have joined Linux Foundation projects such as Automotive Grade Linux, Cloud Native Computing Foundation, Hyperledger, Open Container Initiative, Open Mainframe Project, Open Network Automation Platform (ONAP), OpenSwitch and Yocto Project. For a full list of members, visit https://www.linuxfoundation.org/members/corporate.
New members include:
- Amihan Global Strategies creates technologies for partners to work toward long-term, sustainable growth in the rapidly changing digital world.
- BayLibre works to bring Android and embedded Linux to the market.
- Bell Canada is Canada's largest communications network.
- China Merchants Bank is China's first joint-stock commercial bank.
- Comcast Cable is one of the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses.
- Ericsson is a multinational networking and telecommunications equipment and services company.
- Innovium develops and deploys advanced technology that successfully addresses the most challenging issues facing data centers.
- Kinvolk is a Berlin-based company working on the technologies at the core of modern Linux systems.
- Kontena is an open source project for orchestrating and running containerized workloads on a cluster.
- Kubique is committed to reimagining collaboration between banks and companies.
- Metaswitch Networks is a cloud native communications software company disrupting the way service providers build, scale, innovate, and account for communication services.
- Monax is the company behind eris-db, an open platform for developers and devops to build, ship, and run blockchain-based applications for business ecosystems.
- Pinterest is a visual discovery engine people use to design their life.
- SAP SE helps streamline processes, providing the ability to use live data to predict customer trends.
- SELTECH develops solutions to secure IoT equipment, voice and image recognition as well as artificial intelligence.
- Tech Mahindra provides software services, systems integration, professional services, and specialized consulting in the telecom sector.
About The Linux Foundation
The Linux Foundation is the organization of choice for the world's top developers and companies to build ecosystems that accelerate open technology development and commercial adoption. Together with the worldwide open source community, it is solving the hardest technology problems by creating the largest shared technology investment in history. Founded in 2000, The Linux Foundation today provides tools, training and events to scale any open source project, which together deliver an economic impact not achievable by any one company. More information can be found at www.linuxfoundation.org.
The Linux Foundation has registered trademarks and uses trademarks. For a list of trademarks of The Linux Foundation, please see our trademark usage page:https://www.linuxfoundation.org/trademark-usage. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.
The Linux Foundation
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-linux-foundation-announces-16-new-silver-members-300431532.html
SOURCE The Linux Foundation