PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 4, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The Board of Directors of The Philadelphia Orchestra Association voted today to unanimously approve the contract with the Musicians of The Philadelphia Orchestra, Local 77 of the American Federation of Musicians. The musicians ratified the contract on Sunday, October 2. The new collective bargaining agreement is effective through September 15, 2019.
Under the terms of the ratified three-year agreement, salaries will increase 2% in year one, and 2.5% each in years two and three bringing the musicians' minimum base pay to $137,800 in the third year of the contract. Additionally, a Musicians' Appreciation Fund will be established that will provide for supplemental compensation tied to the Orchestra's financial success annually. Other terms of the agreement include increased opportunities for revenue generation and:
- Continued support for the artistic excellence of the Orchestra and the future financial stability of the organization
- The expansion of the complement to 97 musicians in year three
- Flexibility to stage additional pop-up concerts more frequently
- The expansion of the highly popular Sunday concerts to embrace audience demand
- Creative engagement in collaborative learning activities
- Musician participation on the Development Committee of The Board of Directors and direct involvement in fundraising
Richard B. Worley, chairman of the board of The Philadelphia Orchestra, said, "We are pleased to reach a three-year agreement with our musicians but we remain sincerely regretful for the cancellation of our opening weekend."
Allison Vulgamore, president and chief executive officer, said, "We are grateful to everyone who has supported the orchestra through our turnaround and we offer our heartfelt apologies for the cancellation of our opening weekend performances. To our patrons, please know we are working hard to repair our relationships and to regain your trust and confidence in the promising future of this great Orchestra."
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-philadelphia-orchestra-association-board-of-directors-unanimously-approve-collective-bargaining-agreement-with-musicians-300339347.html
SOURCE Philadelphia Orchestra Association