SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., April 1, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- More patients will die from pancreatic cancer than breast cancer this year, moving pancreatic cancer from the fourth to the third-leading cause of cancer-related death in the United States, according to the Cancer Statistics 2016 report, published by the American Cancer Society.
To change the course of this disease, the Phoenix Affiliate of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is inviting the community to attend PurpleStride Phoenix. The volunteer-led community celebration taking place on Saturday, April 9, through Scottsdale Civic Center Park will raise much needed awareness and funds to support the mission of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network to advance research, support patients and create hope.
To register and to learn more visit www.purplestride.org/phoenix.
"Our goal at PurpleStride Phoenix is to double survival by 2020," stated Angel Frolander, PurpleStride Chair on behalf of the Phoenix Affiliate of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. "PurpleStride gives us the opportunity to come together as a community and take action against this deadly disease while participating in an uplifting celebration of hope."
The family-friendly 5K timed awareness walk/run will include:
- Registration at 6:30 a.m., event begins at 7:30 a.m.
- Kid-friendly activities and "purple play zone"
- Opening ceremony featuring live entertainment
- Hosted by 3TV news anchor, Nicole Crites from "Good Evening Arizona"
- Special guest Honorary Chairs include Erkut Borazanci MD, MS, Clinical Investigator from HonorHealth Research Institute and Clinical Assistant Professor at Translational Genomics Research Institute; Tom Dragovich, MD, PhD, Division Chief, Medical Oncology and Hematology from Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center; Vivek Khemka, MD, MBA, FACP, Medical Oncologist from Cancer Treatment Centers of America; and Ramesh K. Ramanathan, MD, Professor of Medicine at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Director, GI Medical Oncology from Mayo Clinic, AZ.
- Gold Sponsors:
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- INSYS Therapeutics
- National Presenting Sponsor: Celgene
- National Silver Sponsor: AbbVie
The American Cancer Society reports an estimated 53,070 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and approximately 41,780 will die from the disease this year.
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is working to double survival by 2020 by continuing to directly fund research, advocate for increased funding and resources from the national government, raise awareness through community outreach, and provide excellent patient services and support for novel initiatives like Clinical Trial Finder, Know Your TumorSM personalized medicine service and the Patient Registry.
Learn more about how you can support your local Phoenix Affiliate and the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network by visiting www.pancan.org. Click to view this year's PurpleStride PSA and organizational PSA.
About the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is the national organization creating hope in a comprehensive way through research, patient support, community outreach and advocacy for a cure. The organization is leading the way to increase survival for people diagnosed with this devastating disease through a bold initiative — The Vision of Progress: Double Pancreatic Cancer Survival by 2020. To continue to accelerate progress, a goal to raise $200 million by 2020 is also in place. Together, we can Wage Hope and rewrite the future of pancreatic cancer.
Public Relations Associate
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-time-is-now-to-join-the-fight-against-pancreatic-cancer-at-purplestride-phoenix-300244816.html
SOURCE Pancreatic Cancer Action Network