RANCHO DOMINGUEZ, Calif., Oct. 24, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The UNCLE BEN'S® Brand, the number-one global rice brand, is excited to announce the 25 finalists in the 2016 Ben's Beginners™ Cooking Contest. In the contest's fifth year, the brand helped families get involved with interactive, step-by-step cooking instructions and family-friendly recipes at beginners.unclebens.com. Entrants were encouraged to submit photos that demonstrated how parents and their young chefs made cooking healthy meals at home fun and a great time to bond as a family. The following finalists were selected out of entries from all 50 of the United States:
- Jenifer Allen and Isaac of Harrisville, Utah
- Areli Biggers and Abby of Hopkinton, Mass.
- Melody Burch and Brett of Washington, D.C.
- Claudio Campos de Moura e Silva and Nicholas of Edwards, Colo.
- Gretchen Chapman and Gwyneth of Kaysville, Utah
- Jennifer Dammarell and Audrey of Cincinnati, Ohio
- Roslyn Davis and Samuel of Shreveport, La.
- Shelia Davis and Nathan of Charlevoix, Mich.
- Nancy DeHoyos and Reese of Gilbert, Ariz.
- Adrienne Dukes and Matthew of Burtonsville, Md.
- Daisy Gracia and Abraham of Dallas, Texas
- Tommy Gunn and Jesse of New York City, N.Y.
- Len Halili and Amiel of Winterhaven, Fla.
- Wes Holloman and Georgia of Pearland, Texas
- Trisha Lee and Cinnamon of Kaneohe, Hawaii
- Marisa Magnusen and Greta of New Kensington, Pa.
- Jill Moore and Delaney of San Antonio, Texas
- Catherine Morrison and Madison of Rescue, Calif.
- Alyssa Oxenreider and Austin of Shillington, Pa.
- Brad Phillips and Noah of Sunriver, Ore.
- Karen Prem and Katelyn of Chantilly, Va.
- Stephanie Ruhland and Cassidy of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
- Mary Vega and Arianna of Solana Beach, Calif.
- Jennifer Washburn and Izzy of Benton, Ky.
- Kelly Wilhite and Sarah of Richmond, Ky.
To qualify, each of the 25 finalists submitted photos of themselves and their families preparing a rice-based dish together. The 25 finalists and their families will now rally their communities to not only vote for their recipe, but support them as they work to inspire healthy, lifelong eating habits by encouraging parents and kids to cook together.
"Ben's Beginners has begun to transform from a contest into a movement, inspiring parents nationwide to make lasting memories with their young chefs in the kitchen," said Caroline Sherman, Vice President of Corporate Affairs, Mars Food North America, the parent company of the UNCLE BEN'S® Brand. "We believe learning to cook is as important as learning to read and write, so we applaud our 25 finalists for their commitment to cooking as a family and having fun while they create creative, and delicious, meals together."
Starting today, through November 13, 2016, individuals can visit beginners.unclebens.com to vote for one of the 25 finalists' cooking photos. After the close of the voting period, five grand prize winners will be selected to each win $15,000 cash for the family, a hometown celebration and a $30,000 cafeteria makeover for their child's school. For more information on the contest, kid-friendly cooking tips and recipes, please visit beginners.unclebens.com.
About the UNCLE BEN'S® Brand
The UNCLE BEN'S® Brand, the number one global rice brand, is proud to offer a wide range of rice dishes with flavors and textures that will help bring more to your meals, both for savory main courses and convenient side dishes. The UNCLE BEN'S® Brand offers a wide variety of white, whole grain brown, and flavored rices in cook times ranging from 30 minutes to 90 seconds, as well as rice for food service operations such as restaurants, schools and hospitals. The first mass-produced parboiled rice, UNCLE BEN'S® Brand products can be found in more than 100 countries worldwide. The UNCLE BEN'S® Brand products are manufactured by Mars Food, part of Mars, Incorporated. For more information, visit unclebens.com.
SOURCE UNCLE BEN’S Brand