CHICAGO, April 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- ICAP Patent Brokerage, a division of ICAP plc and the world's largest intellectual property brokerage firm and organizer of ICAP Ocean Tomo Auctions, is offering for sale an important strategic patent portfolio that deals with key aspects of the smart grid and coordinated distributed power.
Typically, in net metering or private power producer arrangements, the user does not have the resources to monitor local power production units, such as power producing fuel cells, solar panels, wind turbine and other power sources (LPPUs) and to sell excess generating capacity to others. Additionally, the amount of excess generating capacity available from a lone LPPU may not be sufficient to be used economically. There is a need for an improved system and method for creating and operating an enhanced distributed energy network that would allow the aggregation of excess generating capacity available from several LPPUs and sell the excess capacity to the energy marketplace.
This patent portfolio relates back to the exceptionally early priority date of 2001 and is foundational in the smart grid and distributed power industry. The portfolio also includes very valuable continuation claims regarding trading aggregated green energy credits in markets.
Key Characteristics & Benefits
This patent portfolio discloses advanced methods for aggregating and selling excess generating capacity within an enhanced distributed energy network.
- This is a system and method for operating a distributed power generation system comprising one or more Local Production Units (LPPUs).
- These units may consist of any number of local power generating units such as fuel cells, wind and gas turbines, solar and the like.
- The disclosed technology includes a method of receiving and storing real time, previously stored or forwarded data, related to the operation of local power production units.
- The method allows communication with entities that purchase power to sell excess generating capacity through a data communications pathway, such as using the Internet to make offers or accept bids.
- Aggregation of fuel purchases allows for better pricing and scheduling of emergency maintenance, and represents a cost savings to the user.
- Note: Continuing applications in the portfolio have priority dates to 2001 and include claims to clean energy credit trading which are calculable and provide significant additional portfolio value.
This is an important portfolio for the energy industry overall.
- It has particularly relevant application where there are local power generating units such as fuel cells, wind and gas turbines, solar generation and other green energy sources.
- As the number of LPPUs increases, aggregation and distribution of energy generated by these entities will become a growing concern and a growing opportunity.
To learn more about the assets available for license in this portfolio:
Contact Dean Becker of ICAP Patent Brokerage at 561-309-0011 or [email protected]
About ICAP Patent Brokerage
ICAP Patent Brokerage is a division of ICAP plc and the world's largest intellectual property brokerage and patent auction firm.
ICAP is the world's leading interdealer broker and provider of post trade risk and information services. The Group matches buyers and sellers in the wholesale markets in interest rates, credit, commodities, FX, emerging markets and equity derivatives through voice and electronic networks. Through our post trade risk and information services we help our customers manage and mitigate risks in their portfolios. For more information go to www.icap.com.
SOURCE ICAP Patent Brokerage