App for iOS users also receives a new look
NEW YORK, Oct. 13, 2016 /PRNewswire/ - The Weather Network announced today a brand new way to interact with the weather for Android users. The new design is seamless across both tablet and mobile devices and is based on Google's Material Design principles. It takes full advantage of the animations, transitions and depth effects that are an integral part of the design language which allow for animated weather backgrounds to reflect current conditions and highlight the weather forecast. When an Android user sees lightning, a powerful storm or a perfect rainbow; they can upload and share their photos and videos directly to the immersive gallery for all to see.
A new main weather hub screen, with a smooth scrolling format, improves navigation for the user providing easy access to essential forecast information. A Floating Action Button keeps additional current weather data accessible with a simple tap. On the home screen, cards provide weather news highlights and maps that click through to more in depth content.
New to the Android app is:
- The main weather hub page providing users with central navigation point for all content.
- Login for personalized experience and easy uploading of photos and videos to The Weather Network's gallery.
- Dynamic and animated backgrounds for current conditions.
- Automatic notifications for weather warnings and alerts based on current location.
Continuing to be available:
- Hourly, daily and 14 day forecasts.
- Variety of weather maps, including satellite, radar and weather systems.
- Public safety alerts.
- Saving of up to 20 locations for easy access to the latest forecast information for favorite places.
- Follow MeTM for pinpointing of location within 0.6 miles for delivery of the most accurate forecast.
- Android Wear app and a custom watch face displaying expected precipitation within the hour.
"We had the user in mind every step of the way in the evolution of the app. It was important to us to ensure that our consumers' feedback was part of redesign," said Carrie Lysenko, Director of Global Web & Applications with The Weather Network. "The entire look and feel is new, it's cleaner, brighter and quicker to navigate. We think that Android users will continue to find the app a great source of weather information to plan for all types activities and help keep them safe."
The Weather Network also recently updated the iPhone app for users with iOS 8.3 and above. The redesigned iPhone app continues to provide the valuable content users expect from The Weather Network on a hub screen that easily surfaces content. New with the iOS redesign are animated backgrounds that reflect current conditions and an in-app purchase option to remove ads.
About The Weather Network
The Weather Network is a leading provider of weather and weather-related forecasts and reports on all platforms. Celebrating 27 years, parent company Pelmorex Media Inc., in addition to US operations also operates in Canada, Spain, the U.K., Germany and Ireland under the banners The Weather Network, MétéoMédia, Eltiempo.es and Wetterplus.de. The Weather Network and its French counterpart MétéoMédia are Canada's most popular weather and information services on TV, web and mobile apps. Eltiempo is Spain's leading multi-platform weather information provider. Pelmorex also operates Canada's National Alerting Aggregation and Dissemination System (Alert Ready) which aggregates and distributes emergency alerts issued by authorized government agencies.
SOURCE The Weather Network