SACRAMENTO, Calif., Jan. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Visit California invites visitors to relish the Golden State's celebrated wine and food offerings this January during the fourth annual California Restaurant Month. Diners can expect delectable dining opportunities across California in an unprecedented 40 destinations, including 11 first-time participants, making 2014 the largest California Restaurant Month to date.
"California is home to some of the most passionate, award-winning chefs on the globe who have a true talent for creating delicious cuisine using fresh, local ingredients," said Caroline Beteta, Visit California president and CEO. "Visitors in January can sample the state's inspiring culinary culture because California Restaurant Month allows visitors and locals alike the opportunity to discover why California is truly one of the world's best places to dine."
Throughout January 2014, California restaurants are offering special restaurant week or month-long dining promotions that feature gourmet prix-fixe menus, wine-pairing opportunities and more as part of this Visit California-led promotion. The 11 new destinations for 2014 are Amador County, Calaveras County, Catalina Island, Escondido, Gilroy, South Lake Tahoe, Manhattan Beach, Stockton, Suisun City, Ventura and Yosemite/Mariposa County. A full list of participating destinations is available at www.DineinCA.com.
California's nearly 82,000 farms and ranches produce nearly half of all American-grown fruits, nuts and vegetables. California Restaurant Month shines a light on the diverse abundance of culinary offerings, providing visitors a taste of their favorite ingredients direct from the source. From the freshly-caught seafood at coastal cafes to the 'just-picked' produce served throughout California, diners will find a full plate of options best experienced by dining and driving through the state. Culinary tourism represents a large business; in 2012, visitors to California spent $28.5 billion on food and beverages - more than any other spending segment - constituting 29 percent of all visitor spend. (Source: Dean Runyan Associates)
"California Restaurant Month is the perfect way to start a New Year's resolution of healthy eating, with signature California grown products like olive oil, wine, avocados and almonds incorporated into restaurant month menus this January," says Beteta. "If visitors' New Year's resolutions are more focused on being more active, they can accomplish that goal by skiing, surfing and dining healthy all in one vacation!"
While it's true that California's cuisine entices visitors year round, California Restaurant Month provides an even more compelling reason for travelers to act on their passion for wine and food. Visitors can add on to their culinary excursion with activities such as mountain thrills at one of the state's premier winter resorts, sunning and surfing along 1,265 miles of coastline, or a little R&R at a destination spa resort.
California Restaurant Month 2014 destinations, and promotional dates, are as follows:
- Amador County - Savor Amador Jan 9 - 15, 2014
- Berkeley - Berkeley Restaurant WeekJan 17 - 31, 2014
- Calaveras County - Calaveras Restaurant MonthJan 1- 31, 2014
- El Dorado County - El Dorado EpicureanJan 19 - 26, 2014
- Gilroy - Gilroy Restaurant Month - Garlic's always on the menu in Gilroy Jan 12 - 26, 2014
- Lake Tahoe - Made with Altitude Jan 10 - 17, 2014
- Manteca - Manteca Restaurant Week Jan 13 - 10, 2014
- Mendocino County - Mendocino County Crab, Wine & Beer Festival Jan 17 - 26, 2014
- Napa Valley - Napa Valley Restaurant MonthJan 1 - 31, 2014
- Oakland - Oakland Restaurant WeekJan 17 - 26, 2014
- Sacramento - Dine Downtown Restaurant WeekJan 8 - 17, 2014
- San Francisco - Dine About TownJan 15 - 31, 2014
- San Mateo County / Silicon Valley - Share the BountyJan 15 - 31, 2014
- Suisun City Waterfront - Suisun City Waterfront Restaurant Week Jan 17 - 26, 2014
- Tri-Valley - Eat Tri-ValleyJan 1 - 31, 2014
- Vacaville - Vacaville Restaurant Week Jan 17 - 26, 2014
- Yosemite/Mariposa County - Savor in Splendor: Yosemite/Mariposa County Restaurant MonthJan 1 - 31, 2014
- Madera County: California's Gateway to Yosemite - California Restaurant Month CelebrationJan 1 - 31, 2014
- Monterey County - Monterey County Culinary MonthJan 1 - 31, 2014
- San Luis Obispo County - San Luis Obispo County Restaurant MonthJan 1 - 31, 2014
- Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara Film FeastJan 30 - Feb 9, 2014
- Santa Ynez Valley - Santa Ynez Valley Restaurant Week Jan 19-25, 2014
- Stockton - Stockton Restaurant Week Jan 17 - 26, 2014
- Tuolumne County - Tuolumne County Restaurant WeekJan 19 - 25, 2014
- Catalina Island - Avalon Restaurant Week Jan 20 - 26, 2014
- Downtown Long Beach - Downtown Long Beach Pepper WeekJan 20 - 26, 2014
- Escondido - Dine Out Escondido! Jan 1 - 31, 2014
- Irvine - Irvine Restaurant WeekJan 10 - 16, 2014
- Los Angeles - dineLA Restaurant Week Jan 20 - Jan 31, 2014
- Manhattan Beach - Dine MB Jan 26 - Feb 7, 2014
- Moorpark - 2014 Moorpark Restaurant Week Jan 18 - 26, 2014
- Newport Beach - 8th Annual Newport Beach Restaurant WeekJan 17 - 26, 2014
- Oxnard - Oxnard International Restaurant WeekJan 19 - 25, 2014
- Pasadena - Cheeseburger WeekJan 19 - 24, 2014
- San Diego - San Diego Restaurant WeekJan 19 - 24, 2014
- Santa Maria Valley - Santa Maria Valley Restaurant WeekJan 10 - 19, 2014
- Santa Monica - Santa Monica Eat Well WeekJan 5 - 11, 2014
- Simi Valley - Simi Valley Restaurant WeekJan 26 - Jan 30, 2014
- Temecula Valley - Temecula Valley Restaurant MonthJan 1-31, 2014
- Ventura - Ventura Restaurant Week Jan 13 - 19, 2014
Visit California (formerly known as the California Travel & Tourism Commission) is a non-profit organization with a mission to develop and maintain marketing programs - in partnership with the state's travel industry - that keep California top-of-mind as a premier travel destination. According to Visit California, travel and tourism expenditures total $106.4 billion annually in California, support jobs for 917,000 Californians and generate $6.6 billion in state and local tax revenues. For more information about Visit California and for a free California Official State Visitor's Guide, go to www.visitcalifornia.com. For story ideas, media information, downloadable images and more, go to media.visitcalifornia.com.
SOURCE Visit California