LOS ANGELES, Aug. 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The median rent for a one-bedroom apartment is $1,000 more expensive in San Francisco than it is in New York, a new study found.
Personal finance website GOBankingRates examined 50 major cities across the U.S. to identify the cost of a one-bedroom apartment. In addition to median rent prices, the study analyzed key factors including the cost of basic utilities and each city's walkability score. GOBankingRates also identified the percentage of apartments for rent in each city with the following amenities: dishwashers, washer-dryers, pools, fitness centers, parking garages and pet-friendly policies.
1. San Francisco Median Rent for One-Bedroom Apartment: $3,395
2. San Jose, Calif. Median Rent for One-Bedroom Apartment: $2,505
3. New York Median Rent for One-Bedroom Apartment: $2,395
4. Washington, D.C. Median Rent for One-Bedroom Apartment: $2,271
5. Jersey City, N.J. Median Rent for One-Bedroom Apartment: $2,200
Top 5 Least Expensive Cities for Renting
1. El Paso, Texas Median Rent for One-Bedroom Apartment: $555
2. Detroit Median Rent for One-Bedroom Apartment: $600
3. Wichita, Kan. Median Rent for One-Bedroom Apartment: $625
4. Tucson, Ariz. Median Rent for One-Bedroom Apartment: $628
5. Fresno, Calif. Median Rent for One-Bedroom Apartment: $650
Additional Study Insights
New York has the highest walkability score of all 50 cities on the list at 89 percent, and the lowest percentage of apartments with garage space (5 percent).
Basic utilities in Anchorage, Alaska topped the list at a whopping $270.48, and the least expensive utilities of the 50 cities cost only $107.49 in San Diego.
In Washington, D.C., 44 percent of apartments allow pets, second only to Buffalo, NY at 52 percent.
GOBankingRates.com is a personal finance news and features website dedicated to helping visitors live a richer life. From tips on saving money, to investing for retirement or finding a good interest rate, GOBankingRates helps turn financial goals into milestones and money dreams into realities. Its content is regularly featured on top-tier media outlets, including MSN, MONEY, AOL Finance, CBS MoneyWatch, Business Insider and dozens of others. GOBankingRates specializes in connecting consumers with the financial institutions and products that best match their needs. Start your journey toward a rich mind and full wallet with us here.