Jun 23, 2015, 08:00 ET
DALLAS, June 23, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's highest resolution resistive sensing signal conditioner, enabling fast and precise 24-bit measurement of conditions such as pressure, strain, flow or liquid levels. The PGA900 signal conditioner offers a programmable core, enabling flexible linearization and temperature compensation for numerous resistive bridge sensing applications. For more information about this new resistive sensing conditioner, see www.ti.com/PGA900-pr.
The PGA900 integrates two low-noise 24-bit analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) to enable high-resolution signal acquisition, a 14-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC) to provide highly linear analog outputs, and a variety of output interfaces, including analog voltage, 4-20 mA current loop, SPI, I2C, UART, and one-wire interface (OWI), to give designers options for different application needs. The PGA900's integrated power management accepts external power supply voltages from 3.3 V to 30 V.
Key features and benefits of the PGA900 resistive sensing conditioner
- Fast, precise sensor signal and temperature compensation: Integrates two 24-bit ADCs to provide high-resolution signal acquisition. Low-drift voltage reference of 10 ppm/oC, maximum, enables high accuracy across the -40oC to 150oC operating temperature range.
- Integrated 14-bit DAC: Enables highly linear analog outputs.
- User-programmable temperature and nonlinearity compensation algorithms: Integrated ARM® Cortex®-M0 core allows developers to use proprietary temperature and nonlinearity compensation algorithms to differentiate their end products.
- Simple calibration: One-wire interface allows communication, configuration and calibration through the power supply pin without using additional lines.
- Wide input voltage allows direct connection to the power supply: Integrated power management circuitry accepts input voltages ranging from 3.3 V to 30 V to simplify the design and provide reliability.
Tools and support to speed design
The PGA900 evaluation module (EVM) enables designers to quickly and easily evaluate the device's performance and integrated features. The PGA900EVM is available from the TI store and authorized distributors for US$249. PGA900 example software and the user's guide, as well as the PSpice and TINA-TI Spice and TINA-TI models can be downloaded at ti.com.
Support is available in the TI E2E™ Community Pressure Sensing Forum, where engineers can search for solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
Package, availability and pricing
The PGA900 resistive sensing conditioner comes in a 6-mm-by-6-mm very thin quad flat no-lead (VQFN) package. It is available now, priced at US$4.50 in 1,000-unit quantities.
The PGA900 is the latest of TI's innovative sensing products addressing temperature, current, light, humidity, proximity, position, motion and more. See TI's entire sensor product portfolio.
Learn more about TI's sensor signal conditioners
- View the datasheet for the PGA900.
- Read an article about "Two-step calibration of sensor signal conditioners."
- Download the following application notes for the PGA900:
- Follow sensing and other TI signal chain experts on the Analog Wire blog.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog integrated circuits and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150622/224647
SOURCE Texas Instruments
Share this article