PENNINGTON, N.J., April 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With National Park Week coming up April 20-28, Family Vacation Critic® (http://www.familyvacationcritic.com), an online family travel planning guide, shares its picks of the best national parks for families.
- Yosemite National Park, California: A four-season getaway, Yosemite offers a striking and varied landscape including granite cliffs, colorful wildflowers and rushing rapids. Kids will never forget standing next to 200-ft. high sequoias in Yosemite's Mariposa Grove.
- Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona: To truly appreciate the Grand Canyon, families can walk the 1.5-mile South Kaibab Trail down to Cedar Ridge, with exquisite views of the inner canyon. For something different, visitors can try a mule ride down the Bright Angel Trail (but be sure to book early).
- Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah: For an up-close look of Bryce Canyon, stroll down the Queen's Garden Route, a dusty stone path loaded with colorful standing pinnacles called "hoodoos." For a more remote family hike, try the 4.5-mile long Sheep Creek/Swamp Canyon Loop in Bryce's backcountry.
- Arches National Park, Utah: Families with small kids should take the easy walk to Sand Dune Arch as a warm-up, where a large sand pit under the arch is an ideal natural sandbox. Then try the 1.6-mile (round-trip) hike to Landscape Arch.
- Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado: The park is home to a wide array of wildlife, including bighorn sheep, elk, moose and marmots. A good day hike for the family is on the Colorado River Trail, where you can take in the water, trees and mountains.
Also named to the list of the Best National Parks for Families: Yellowstone National Park, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Voyageurs National Park, Shenandoah National Park, and Acadia National Park. For the full list, visit: http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/10-best-national-parks-for-families/art/.
According to Lissa Poirot, editor of Family Vacation Critic, "National parks offer families a unique opportunity to explore and learn in breathtaking landscapes that have been preserved for that very reason. Whether stargazing at Yosemite, going for a fossil walk at the Grand Canyon, or becoming a Junior Ranger, national parks provide the chance to bring the classroom to life and make learning even more fun."
For tips on planning a national park family vacation, visit Family Vacation Critic's planning guide: http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/national-park-family-vacations/art/.
About Family Vacation Critic
Family Vacation Critic® is a comprehensive online travel resource for families that offers reviews of family hotels, resort and destinations. The site features vacation ideas, family travel tips and an online forum for family travelers. Family Vacation Critic is published by The Independent Traveler, Inc., a subsidiary of TripAdvisor, Inc.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) manages and operates websites under 19 other travel media brands, and together the sites attract more than 75 million unique monthly visitors.** TripAdvisor, Inc.'s travel media brands include www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.onetime.com, www.seatguru.com, www.sniqueaway.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travel-library.com, www.travelpod.com, www.virtualtourist.com, www.whereivebeen.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, Worldwide, January 2013.
**Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor, Inc. and its subsidiaries, Worldwide, January 2013.
Family Vacation Critic and The Independent Traveler are either trademarks or registered trademarks of TripAdvisor, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. © 2013 The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
(609) 730-9155 ext. 274
SOURCE Family Vacation Critic