NEW YORK, July 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Touchstorm, a technology-based services company that builds video audiences for the world's best brands, used its powerful Video Index to produce the first comprehensive YouTube report on Outdoor Activities and Adventure Sports. Featuring data from 3,166 YouTube channels across 38 topics, the new report reveals which channels are building a following and mastering the conversation on YouTube. The full report is available for free download at www.touchstorm.com.
The data behind the report pulls from the Touchstorm Video Index and the company's Voot® analytics software, which appends the YouTube API data with its own proprietary data and algorithms to reveal a channel's true vitality and health. The result is a look at category and channel details never seen before, with data and analytics on thousands of channels across 38 activity topics ranging from Airsoft, Bushcraft and Parkour, to Camping, Hunting & Fishing, and Skateboarding.
Several noteworthy findings emerged from the report, including:
- Content with tricks and motion drive the category, with 8 of the Top 10 channels delivering content on either Skateboarding or Parkour.
- More than 29 million subscribers and nearly 8 billion video views show a vibrant and growing YouTube audience and category.
- Unlike many other YouTube conversations, brands have built strong, active audiences and engage them well.
- While brands like GoPro and Red Bull dominate in views, smaller brands like Metro and Wilderness Outfitters are more successful in overall channel vitality and audience building.
- Only 44% of the channels are from the U.S., yet 75% of all views go to these U.S.-based channels.
- More than 80 YouTube stars have emerged in the category, and are building audiences larger and more engaging than several category brands.
"Who knew there was a Michelle Phan of Skateboarding, but there is, and that information is valuable to the hundreds of retailers, brands and media properties marketing to that vertical," said Alison Provost, Touchstorm CEO. "The breadth of this report is mind-blowing, as it exposes an entirely new view of YouTube, with category competition, rising stars, and metrics that matter if you want to build a successful channel. We're thrilled to share our insights at this level and help brands take a more informed and actionable view of their efforts on YouTube."
Touchstorm (www.touchstorm.com) is a technology-based services company that builds video audiences for the world's largest brands. To accomplish its vision of helping brands and audiences fall in love again, the company grows YouTube channels organically, building engaged audiences for brand channels. Touchstorm uses a suite of software technologies to build these brand audiences at scale, including Voot®, Scoop™, and its Touchstorm Video Index™. Headquartered in New York City, Touchstorm is an independent, woman-owned company.