NEW YORK, Nov. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Toy Industry Association (TIA) announced today the 83 finalists for the prestigious 2015 Toy of the Year Awards (TOTY) – also known as the "Oscars" of the toy industry. Between now and January 11, 2015, toy lovers of all ages can visit www.ToyAwards.org to vote for their favorite toys, games and properties across 12 categories and enter to win exclusive prize packages!
"The TOTY Awards celebrate the creative spirit of the North American toy industry and represent a broad array of skill-building playthings that enrich the lives of children around the world," said Carter Keithley, TIA president & CEO. "The awards program also supports the philanthropic work of the Toy Industry Foundation, which partners with generous toy companies throughout the year to bring brand-new toys to children in need."
The 2015 finalists were selected from more than 600 nominees submitted for consideration by 159 companies. Sixty academics, journalists, toy trend experts, play therapists, toy inventors and designers, and toy retailers staffed the nomination committees that narrowed the field to the slate of finalists.
Votes from mass retailers, specialty toy retailers, media, TIA members and consumers will be weighted and used to determine each of the 12 category winners. The winners – including the overall "Toy of the Year" and the "People's Choice" awards – will be announced at the TOTY Awards ceremony held on Friday, February 13, 2015 as the kick-off to the 112th North American International Toy Fair.
"From innovative toys that inspire kids to explore their surroundings, to active games that encourage families to play together, this year's TOTY finalists shine a spotlight on the critical role that toys play in the healthy development of children," said Ken Seiter, TIA vice president of strategic communications. "We wish each TOTY nominee the best of luck and encourage consumers to cast their votes online for the most popular playthings of the year!"
See the finalists in each category below. Online images are available at ToyAwards.org/Press
ACTIVITY TOY OF THE YEAR
Arts and crafts, construction and other indoor toys that inspire creative play through various forms of activity
- Crayola Paint Maker by Crayola
- DOHVINCI STYLE & STORE VANITY Kit by Hasbro, Inc.
- Hot Wheels® Airbrush Auto Design by Mattel, Inc.
- It's My Biz by Fashion Angels
- LEGO Mixels by LEGO Systems, Inc.
- Roominate Chateau by Roominate
- Washi Tape Stickers by Klutz
BOY TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys developed for boys of any age
- AIR HOGS ROLLERCOPTER™ by SPIN MASTER
- Disney Planes: Fire & Rescue Fire Blastin' Dusty Crophopper by Mattel, Inc.
- Marvel Super Hero Mashers by Hasbro, Inc.
- Max Tow Truck by JAKKS Pacific, Inc.
- NERF N-STRIKE MEGA THUNDERBOW by Hasbro, Inc.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie Action Figures by Playmates Toys
- ZOOMER DINO™ by SPIN MASTER
E-CONNECTED TOY OF THE YEAR
A physical toy or game that is app-enabled or otherwise interacts with a smartphone, tablet or gaming device
- BARBIE® Fashion Design Maker™ Doll by Mattel, Inc.
- Kurio Xtreme by Techno Source
- LeapTV™ by LeapFrog
- LEGO® FUSION by LEGO Systems, Inc.
- Skylanders Trap Team™ by Activision Publishing, Inc.
- Tiggly Counts by Tiggly / Kidtellect, Inc.
- Virtual Design Pro by Crayola
EDUCATIONAL TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys that help children to develop special skills and knowledge through play
- GeoSafari® Jr. My First Microscope by Educational Insights
- GoldieBlox™ and the Builder's Survival Kit by GoldieBlox™, Inc.
- InnoTab® MAX by VTech®
- LeapBand™ by LeapFrog
- LEGO Technic by LEGO Systems, Inc.
- Little Scholar™ by School Zone Publishing
- Remote-Control Machines DLX by Thames & Kosmos
GAME OF THE YEAR
Children's board, card, electronic or other physical game formats and puzzles
(does not include video games or apps)
- Bounce-Off™ Game by Mattel, Inc.
- Disney Eye Found It Game by Wonder Forge
- Kanoodle® Genius by Educational Insights
- MOUSTACHE SMASH™ by SPIN MASTER
- Peek-A-Doodle Doo!™ by Fat Brain Toy Co.
- SHARK MANIA™ by SPIN MASTER
- Simon Swipe™ by Hasbro, Inc.
GIRL TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys developed for girls of any age
- Barbie® Endless Curls by Mattel, Inc.
- Cool Baker Magic Mixer™ by SPIN MASTER
- Design Your Own Jewelry – Charm Bracelet Kit by Sugar Lulu
- Disney Princess Palace Pets: Magic Dance Pumpkin by Blip Toys
- Doc McStuffins Walk N' Talk Doc Mobile Doll by Just Play
- LEGO® Disney Princess™ by LEGO Systems, Inc.
- Shopkins™ Small Mart Playset by Moose Toys
INFANT/TODDLER TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys developed for infant children and toddlers (ages up to 36 months)
- Go! Go! Smart Animals™ Zoo Explorers Playset™ by VTech®
- Gymotion Activity Playland™ by Yookidoo®
- In My Room Jr.™ – Mr. Happy Moon by Uncle Milton Industries
- Lamaze® Pippin the Push Along Pup by TOMY International
- PipSquigz™ by Fat Brain Toy Co.
- Tree Top Adventure™ by The Manhattan Toy Company®
- Twinkling Firefly Frog™ by Cloud b®
INNOVATIVE TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys that utilize innovative design, technology, or manufacturing processes to enhance play value
- Hot Wheels® Street Hawk by Mattel, Inc.
- Laser Maze™ by ThinkFun, Inc.
- Loopa by Yvolution
- MiP™ by WowWee
- OGOBILD with AnimateIt! Studio Kit by OgoSport LLC
- Osmo by Tangible Play, Inc.
- Ozobot by Evollve Inc.
OUTDOOR TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys designed for outdoor play
- Fantasia™ Bubble Machine by Bubble Blitz™ by Imperial Toy
- Firetek™ Bow by Zing Toys
- FUZE Cyclone Water Blaster by Skyrocket Toys
- Kidoozie® Hop & Squeak Pogo Jumper by International Playthings
- Nerf Rebelle Dolphina Bow by Hasbro, Inc.
- Razor PowerRider 360 by Razor USA LLC
- Y Fliker LIFT by Yvolution
PRESCHOOL TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys developed for preschool-aged children (aged 3-5)
- Camp Site by PLAYMOBIL®
- Doc McStuffins Get Better Talking Mobile by Just Play
- Kidizoom® Smartwatch by VTech®
- LEGO® Juniors by LEGO Systems, Inc.
- PAW PATROL LOOKOUT HQ™ by SPIN MASTER
- Razor Jr. Zombie and Monster Kix scooter by Razor USA LLC
- Snow Glow Elsa by JAKKS Pacific, Inc.
PROPERTY OF THE YEAR
Property that had the greatest success spreading its brand throughout the industry
- Disney's Frozen (The Walt Disney Company)
- Minecraft™ Series 2 (Mojang/Jazwares LLC)
- PAW PATROL™ (SPIN MASTER)
- Skylanders Trap Team™ (Activision Publishing, Inc.)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Nickelodeon)
- THE LEGO MOVIE™ (The LEGO Group)
SPECIALTY TOY OF THE YEAR
Toys primarily distributed through specialty retailers
- Balance Boat: Endangered Animals Game by BeginAgain
- Gravity Maze™ by ThinkFun, Inc.
- Green Toys® Safe Seas Set by Green Toys
- Magnetron by Tegu
- Monster Sewing Workshop by Thames & Kosmos
- Squigz® by Fat Brain Toy Co.
- VEX® Robotics Spider, HEXBUG® by Innovation First International
About the Toy Industry Association (TIA)
TIA is the not-for-profit trade association representing all businesses involved in creating and bringing toys and youth entertainment products to kids of all ages, representing more than 750 companies who account for approximately 90% of domestic toy sales. Toy safety is the number one priority for the toy industry. TIA has a long history of leadership in toy safety, having developed the first comprehensive toy safety standard more than 30 years ago, and works with government, consumers and industry on ongoing programs to ensure safe and fun play. For more information, please visit www.toyassociation.org or www.toyinfo.org.
Follow TOTY on Twitter at #TOTY15
Media Assets Available at www.ToyAwards.org/Press
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/toy-industry-unveils-nominees-for-2015-toy-of-the-year-toty-awards-300000325.html
SOURCE Toy Industry Association