WAYNE, N.J., Nov. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Toys"R"Us® today announced it has reinvented its assortment of consumer electronics and tech accessories as it continues to stay at the forefront of emerging trends for kids and families. New and expanded product categories include prepaid mobile phones, tablet computers, headphones, iPod docks, digital cameras and accessories for the Apple® ecosystem. The company has redesigned its electronics department and significantly increased the space dedicated to consumer electronics by developing an open floor plan and adding interactive displays to all its stores across the country. Here, customers can get a hands-on look at select devices and expert help from Toys"R"Us employees. At the same time, the company has worked to strengthen its leadership position in family-oriented video games and movies, licensed electronics, musical instruments and karaoke.
Customers interested in purchasing tablet computers, Apple iPod, digital cameras, accessories and video game systems will find more reasons than ever to shop at Toys"R"Us stores. With flexible payment options like layaway, shoppers can pay for these items over time*, while the company's loyalty program, Rewards"R"Us offers customers 10% back on purchases of electronics, as well as other great gifts available in the store, through Christmas Eve**.
"At Toys"R"Us, we continually seek ways to offer the latest in consumer electronics products and we are excited to add new portable items to our assortment such as no contract mobile phones, tablet computers, electronic reading devices and more," said Troy Peterson, Vice President, Divisional Merchandising Manager, Electronics and Entertainment, Toys"R"Us, Inc. "Our customers are sure to enjoy the newly redesigned department, which allows them to get hands-on experience with many of our new products, as well as demos of some of the hottest video games available."
New and Expanded Product Categories
Understanding that kids and parents are more mobile than ever, Toys"R"Us has added new items from key manufacturers to its growing assortment of portable electronics product, including:
- Introducing No Contract Cellular Offerings: Parents who want to teach their children the responsibility of having a phone, without worrying about binding contracts, will now find a large assortment of no contract cellular phones from AT&T, T-Mobile, Net 10 and Tracphone at Toys"R"Us stores nationwide. A variety of handsets are available for each carrier, including devices from Nokia, Samsung and LG, among others.
- Expanded Selection of Digital Devices: Keeping in tune with the ever-changing pace of what kids want, Toys"R"Us has broadened its assortment of digital devices. From the newest versions of the Apple iPod to touchscreen players from Sony, Samsung, Sandisk, Riptunes, Archos and Sakar, customers can find the perfect device to play music, watch movies, play games and surf the internet.
- Keeping Up With the Kindles: The Amazon Kindle, with both the 3G Graphite and Wifi with Special Offers, is currently available, and Toys"R"Us stores will continue to add the latest generation of Amazon eReaders, including the new line: Kindle, Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire.
- An Explosion of Tablets: Toys"R"Us has offered a variety of tablet computers for several years and now customers interested in computing on-the-go can find a larger assortment of these devices. New tablets available include the Sony S1 and Samsung Galaxy, as well as tablets from Acer, Archos and Asus.
- Cool Headphones: From pop culture icons like Iron Man and M&Ms to vibrant hues from violet to red, a headphone shop allows kids to express their personal style. The available assortment features high-quality Skull Candy headphones, in a variety of colors, and sporting a skull logo, perfect for future audiophiles. Additionally, Toys"R"Us offers an exclusive line of Safe Sounds in-ear and over-ear headphones from Maxell. Designed specifically for children, these headphones offer style and safety by preventing the volume from being turned too loud.
- A Growing Apple Ecosystem: Toys"R"Us has introduced a wider variety of accessories for iPod and iPad users, including colored cases for each device. Featured licensed cases include Angry Birds, Hello Kitty, Muppets, Disney Fairies, Disney/Pixar Cars 2 and more from manufacturers such as Xtreme Mac, Griffin, Play On, Sakar, Zagg and Speck. Also available are items that enhance each device, including extra power cords, car chargers, speakers, headphones and styluses. Shoppers will also find a larger selection of iHome products to dock their Apple items, including speaker systems, alarm clocks and more. Exciting new products supporting one of the biggest toy trends for the holiday season – App-cessories – offers kids fun ways to interact with apps downloaded onto Apple iPod and iPad.
- More Virtual Gift Cards: Whether shoppers are interested in purchasing Facebook credits, Fusion Falls memberships, books for Amazon Kindle, or event mobile minutes, Toys"R"Us stores now offer a variety of physical gift cards to pay for goods and services online.
Kids' Electronics Authority
In addition to the aforementioned new and expanded product categories, Toys"R"Us continues to build upon its existing strong statements for video games, DVDs, licensed electronics, musical instruments and karaoke devices:
- Family-Oriented and Popular Video Games: Players looking for the newest video games and hardware available, including the Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, as well as accessories such as the latest controllers can find what they need at Toys"R"Us. Gamers can purchase new releases like Sesame Street: Once Upon A Monster, Batman: Arkham City and Skylanders Spyro's Adventure, as well as games released earlier this year.
- The Destination for Licensed Electronics: From televisions and boomboxes to walkie talkies, alarm clocks and DVD players, Toys"R"Us offers the broadest selection of these items featuring kids' favorite characters and brands. Some of the most popular licensed products currently include Hello Kitty, Hot Wheels, Disney/Pixar Cars 2, VicTORious and Monster High.
- Karaoke Depot: Kids love expressing themselves through song, and they can find the perfect tune at Toys"R"Us with a large assortment of karaoke machines, including items from the Singing Machine, among others. Popular licensed versions feature characters such as Monster High, Disney/Pixar Cars 2, Phineas and Ferb, Hello Kitty, Barbie and more. The newest addition to the karaoke scene is the I Am T-Pain Mic, which transforms any voice into a superstar with the T-Pain Effect, created by famed rapper T-Pain.
- Family-Friendly Movies: For films kids and parents can enjoy together, a broad assortment of heartwarming DVDs is available with new titles arriving every week. And, when Disney/Pixar Cars 2 is released on DVD on November 1, customers purchasing the movie at Toys"R"Us stores will find exclusive content – a LEGO Disney/Pixar Cars 2 minifilm featuring characters from Disney/Pixar Cars 2 created from the classic construction toy.
- Headquarters for Kids' Musical Instruments: Children interested in learning how to play guitar, drums or keyboards will enjoy the selection of beginning and intermediate instruments from First Act. More advanced guitar players will also discover guitars from Gibson, including the Maestro Cutaway Electric Guitar.
Holiday Electronic Purchases
Throughout the holiday shopping season, Toys"R"Us stores are offering customers convenient and flexible ways to pay, as well as 10% back on holiday electronics purchases**:
- Expanded Layaway: While all Toys"R"Us stores nationwide continue to offer Big Gift Layaway on video game hardware, now approximately 450 of the company's stores offer layaway on electronics, including Apple iPod, tablet computers, netbooks, MP3 players, digital cameras, televisions, select musical instruments and more.* No matter what technological or musical marvel parents and gift-givers are looking to delight kids with on Christmas morning, they can take advantage of layaway, while paying over time. Certain restrictions apply.
- Reward"R"Us® Loyalty Program: Toys"R"Us will once again offer 10 percent back on purchases made by new and current members of its loyalty program, Rewards"R"Us®, this holiday season. Now through Christmas Eve, Rewards"R"Us members can earn 10 percent back in "R"Us Dollars for every dollar spent on qualifying purchases*, including electronics. Members can participate in this special promotion by presenting their loyalty card at any "R"Us store nationwide or entering their loyalty number online with purchase at Toysrus.com or Babiesrus.com. "R"Us Dollars earned will be delivered to members via e-mail in January and can be used toward savings on future in-store purchases.***
For high-resolution images of the redesigned electronics department at Toys"R"Us , as well as products featured within the department, please visit: https://toysrus.sharefile.com/d/s64f3a843af848ccb.
About Toys"R"Us, Inc.
Toys"R"Us, Inc. is the world's leading dedicated toy and juvenile products retailer, offering a differentiated shopping experience through its family of brands. Merchandise is sold in 873 Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us stores in the United States and Puerto Rico, and in more than 600 international stores and over 140 licensed stores in 35 countries and jurisdictions. In addition, it exclusively operates the legendary FAO Schwarz brand and sells extraordinary toys in the brand's flagship store on Fifth Avenue in New York City. With its strong portfolio of e-commerce sites including Toysrus.com, Babiesrus.com, eToys.com and FAO.com, it provides shoppers with a broad online selection of distinctive toy and baby products. Headquartered in Wayne, NJ, Toys"R"Us, Inc. employs approximately 70,000 associates annually worldwide. The company is committed to serving its communities as a caring and reputable neighbor through programs dedicated to keeping kids safe and helping them in times of need.
*Some exclusions apply. See store for details. Toys"R"Us Express and Outlet stores do not participate in the company's layaway program.
**Maximum reward accumulation during this holiday period is $50 "R"Us Dollars. Qualifying purchases exclude gift cards, shipping and handling charges and reward-eligible greeting cards, formula and diapers.
***Valid dates may vary on reward certificates.