Trimble Launches Trimble Connect, New Cloud-based Collaboration Platform for Construction and Operation of Buildings
Company Leverages Recent Gehry Technologies Acquisition to Transform Industry Processes
31 Oct, 2014, 06:30 ET
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Oct. 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Trimble (NASDAQ: TRMB) introduced today Trimble Connect, a powerful cloud-based collaboration platform that empowers teams involved in the design, construction and operation of buildings. Based on GTeam™ software from recently acquired Gehry Technologies, Trimble Connect streamlines workflows and transforms collaborative processes, allowing teams to access, analyze, manage and share project data from anywhere at any time. As a hub for Trimble Buildings' portfolio of Design-Build-Operate (DBO) technologies, Trimble Connect enables seamless interoperability for designers, builders, and owners/occupiers—while also providing benefits to teams involved in site preparation and management.
Trimble Connect will be showcased Nov. 3-5 at Trimble Dimensions.
"Trimble Connect creates communities of collaboration across and within disciplines, integrating data from Trimble's wide variety of applications and devices to reduce the barriers between teams and tasks," said Bryn Fosburgh, vice president responsible for Trimble's Construction Technology Divisions. "This new platform not only reinforces Trimble's leadership as a provider of advanced software and hardware, but positions us to transform the way the world designs, builds and operates buildings through collaboration."
Trimble Connect provides coordinated information for everyone across the DBO continuum, streamlining the process of combining Building Information Modeling (BIM), 3D and 2D models via the Web, improving coordination among dispersed offices and teams, and reducing costs for software and training. In addition, the platform's storage and archiving of project documentation allows team leaders to keep track of their staff's progress remotely. Trimble Connect also centralizes all digital assets across a project portfolio, allowing project managers and building owners to audit and report on all past and present project data and activity.
Connecting Building Construction
Trimble also announced the first products in its Trimble Buildings' portfolio that are now "Trimble Connected"—enabling users of these DBO solutions to collaborate via Trimble Connect.
- SketchUp – The professional's version of the world's most popular 3D modeling platform, used for creating, updating and communicating designs in 3D.
- Tekla Structures – The premier BIM tool for the creation and management of constructible 3D models from conceptual design to material fabrication, erection and site management.
- Tekla BIMsight – A professional tool providing an easy-to-use 3D environment for construction project collaboration, enabling issues to be identified and solved in the design phase.
- Vico Office – Virtual construction software, augmenting 3D models with constructability analysis and coordination, location-based quantity takeoff, 4D (time) scheduling and production control and 5D (cost) estimating.
- Prolog® – The premier project-management and cost-control software for general contractors and construction managers.
- Trimble Field Link – Advanced software for the management of layout tasks, including visualization, navigation, rendering and import of building models, as well as enhanced data sharing via Bentley i-models.
- MEPdesigner for SketchUp – A new platform allowing Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) contractors to quickly and easily migrate from a 2D to a 3D work environment.
- Manhattan Atrium EAM – A powerful Enterprise Asset Management system from recently acquired Manhattan Software that uniquely addresses both strategic and operational demands, including capital asset investment planning, survey and assessments, property/estates management and facilities management.
Reflecting Trimble's deep commitment to open standards and workflows, Trimble Connect supports the platform-neutral IFC file format for OpenBIM, a broad-based approach to the collaborative design, construction and operation of buildings based on open standards and workflows.
Connecting Heavy Civil Construction
Trimble Connect can also provide integration capabilities to manage the complexities of heavy civil construction projects. Business Center - HCE, office software used to create 3D constructible models, and site and corridor takeoffs, is the first offering from Trimble's Heavy Civil Construction Division that can share data with Trimble Connect. With the combination of Business Center - HCE and Trimble Connect, the transfer and retrieval of data to and from the construction contractor, the engineer and the general contractor is now possible.
Business Center - HCE sends the 3D constructible model to the Trimble Connect repository for storage, security and version control so general contractors, construction contractors and engineers can collaboratively engage in the delivery of a project. Construction contractors can retrieve and leverage version-controlled digital plans, CAD data and models from engineers and general contractors for use in takeoffs, bids, data preparation and field operations. In addition, construction contractors can contribute estimates, 3D site models prepared for machine control and site positioning, and as-built drawings to the "Trimble Connected" central storage location for review, action or approvals.
Additional information on Trimble Connect is available at http://connect.trimble.com.
About Trimble's Construction Business
Trimble is a leading innovator of productivity solutions for the building construction and heavy civil construction markets. Leveraging a variety of technologies—such as GPS, construction lasers, total stations, scanners, wireless communications as well as cloud, Web and application software—Trimble's solutions improve workflows between key stakeholders, wherever they are located, making it easier to track time, costs, materials, staff and resources for more precise, accurate and profitable projects. Trimble is transforming the way the world designs, builds and operates infrastructure and buildings, from planning, design and site preparation to creation and operation. Trimble's construction business includes:
Trimble Buildings' product and professional service offerings improve productivity, visibility and data interoperability, from simulation to renovation. Information on Trimble Buildings' DBO portfolio is available at: http://buildings.trimble.com.
Trimble Heavy Civil Construction provides software, grade control and site positioning technology that optimizes productivity and provides a high-level of workflow integration from design through to the finished project. More information is available at: http://construction.trimble.com.
Trimble applies technology to make field and mobile workers in businesses and government significantly more productive. Solutions are focused on applications requiring position or location—including surveying, construction, agriculture, fleet and asset management, public safety and mapping. In addition to utilizing positioning technologies, such as GPS, lasers and optics, Trimble solutions may include software content specific to the needs of the user. Wireless technologies are utilized to deliver the solution to the user and to ensure a tight coupling of the field and the back office. Founded in 1978, Trimble is headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif.
For more information, visit: www.trimble.com.
Share this article