NEEDHAM, Mass., Sept. 19, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- TripAdvisor®, the travel site that helps you find the latest reviews and lowest prices, today announced the winners of its Travelers' Choice® awards for Museums. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for museums worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period. TripAdvisor has also highlighted top-rated bookable tours and passes on the site and the cost of admission for each winning museum.1
"As a traveler, exploring a famous museum or discovering a new one can be the highlight of a trip," said Brooke Ferencsik, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor. "This year's Travelers' Choice Museum award winners belong on your must-visit list. To beat the crowds at these popular attractions, travelers should consider booking a skip-the-line pass or taking a small group tour to save time and make the most of their visit."
Top 10 Museums in the U.S:
1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art— New York City, New York At "The Met," New York City's most visited museum and attraction, travelers can experience over 5,000 years of art from around the world.
2. The National WWII Museum— New Orleans, Louisiana Originally founded in 2000 as The National D-Day Museum, The National WWII Museum showcases exhibits from industrial efforts on the Home Front to the combat experience of American service members abroad.
Admission: Adult — $27; Senior — $23.50; Child, College Student, Military — $17.50
3. Art Institute of Chicago— Chicago, Illinois Travelers can discover the greatest Impressionist collection outside Paris, explore contemporary masterpieces in the spectacular Modern Wing and view classics from ancient Greece, Japan, Africa and the Americas.
Admission: Adult — $25; Senior, Student, Teen — $19; Child Under 14 — Free
4. The National 9/11 Memorial & Museum— New York City, New York At this site set within the original footprints of the Twin Towers, travelers can remember and honor those who perished in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, and February 26, 1993.
6. Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum— Washington, D.C. Travelers can visit the most popular of the Smithsonian museums, which features the Wright Brothers' 1903 Flyer and Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis.
8. American Museum of Natural History— New York City, New York Travelers can explore interactive, modernized exhibits and an IMAX theater that help bring this museum, dedicated to understanding the past, into the 21st century.
10. NASA Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex— Titusville, Florida Travelers can see the real space shuttle Atlantis, touch a moon rock, meet a veteran NASA astronaut, tour a NASA spaceflight facility and get an up-close view of a real Saturn V moon rocket all in the same day.
TripAdvisor is the world's largest online provider of tours, activities and attractions, offering more than 56,000 bookable tours, activities and experiences in 2,500 destinations and 165 countries to help travelers unleash the full potential of their trips.
Travelers can read the latest reviews and compare prices from more than 200 sites to find the lowest prices on the right hotel for their trip at www.TripAdvisor.com.
Note to editors 1Current/upcoming exhibits and events and admission prices sourced from museum websites.
About TripAdvisor TripAdvisor, the world's largest travel site*, enables travelers to unleash the full potential of every trip. With more than 535 million reviews and opinions covering the world's largest selection of travel listings worldwide -- over 7 million accommodations, airlines, attractions, and restaurants -- TripAdvisor provides travelers with the wisdom of the crowds to help them decide where to stay, how to fly, what to do and where to eat. TripAdvisor also compares prices from more than 200 hotel booking sites so travelers can find the lowest price on the hotel that's right for them. TripAdvisor-branded sites are available in 49 markets, and are home to the world's largest travel community of 415 million average unique monthly visitors,** all looking to get the most out of every trip. TripAdvisor: Know better. Book better. Go better.