POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y., June 13, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- T.Webber Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electric, a BBB A+ accredited business and recipient of more than 1,000 5-star consumer reviews, encourages Hudson Valley residents to take essential steps to protect their homes from accidents, or worse, during summer vacation.
"An inconvenience like a leaking sink can easily turn into a disaster if you're not there to deal with it," said T.Webber Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electric owner Tommy Webber. "No one wants a vacation to end with a flooded bathroom. No one wants to worry about something going wrong at home while they're enjoying time with friends and family, either. But, with some planning and practice, you can learn how to make your home vacation-ready and give yourself peace of mind while you're away."
Here are seven simple precautions Webber recommends to ward off worst-case scenarios and ensure a happy homecoming:
- Unplug appliances: Save energy and reduce the risk of electrical fire by unplugging electronics like the TV, stereo and computers and appliances like the stove, microwave, washing machine and dryer. In addition, you can put the water heater in "vacation mode" to reduce energy consumption.
- Program the thermostat: Set the temperature so it's higher than the normal comfort level while you're away but still safe for pets and plants. You can set the air conditioning to return to normal a few hours before you expect to arrive home. With a smart thermostat, you can even dial in the timing with remote access or adjust your home temp to changing weather conditions.
- Program light timers: Easily available smart technology allows homeowners to schedule indoor lights to turn on in the morning and turn off again at night, mimicking your usual daily routine to deter intruders. Outdoor lights are another effective safety measure.
- Check all the windows and doors: Make sure they're shut and secure to keep out burglars, bugs and bad weather. You'll also be saving energy – and money on your next utility bill.
- Turn off the water: Turn off the valves to the dishwasher, washing machine and bathroom and kitchen sinks. They won't be using it, and you won't have to worry about leaks and water damage.
- Check smoke detectors: Make sure they're all working. Change the batteries if you have any doubts.
- Emergency contact: Recruit a friend or family member to visit your home during your absence to pick up the mail, check for accidents and water the plants. You should also provide your friend with contact information and details of your itinerary. A regular presence deters uninvited curiosity, and your contact can notify you or the appropriate authorities in case of an emergency.
"It doesn't take much time or effort to get your home ready for your summer vacation if you think ahead and have a plan," Webber said. "Taking a few hours to follow these simple steps can save your home from flooding, fire or worse. It can also save you from anxiety so you can enjoy your vacation."
To learn more about how to prep your home for summer vacation and T.Webber Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electric's full line of services, please call 845-288-2777 or visit www.twebber.com.
About T.Webber Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electric
T.Webber Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electric is a family owned and operated home services company serving the Hudson Valley area, including Dutchess, Putnam, Westchester, Orange, Ulster and Rockland counties. A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau, T.Webber has been the company of choice for residential service, repair and installation for nearly 30 years. Tom Webber founded the company in 1989 with the vision to exceed customer expectations and provide exceptional service with integrity, competence and objectivity with every service call. The company slogan, "We keep your home running right," is the T.Webber commitment to deliver exceptional turnkey home solutions to Hudson Valley homeowners. T.Webber provides timely, same-day service for plumbing, heating, air conditioning, electrical, well system, water quality, bathroom remodeling, and sewer and septic repairs. For more information, call 1-845-288-2777 or visit http://twebber.com/.
SOURCE T.Webber Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electric