OMAHA, Neb., May 29, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Union Pacific's 2014 Sustainability and Citizenship Report, including a redesigned online version, recounts the company's evolving approach to operating safely, strengthening communities, engaging employees and preserving the environment. The sixth annual report also announces the company's new fuel consumption and associated greenhouse gas emissions reduction goal.
"Through our annual Sustainability and Citizenship Report, we share Union Pacific's commitment to sustainable business practices and responsibilities as a corporate neighbor," said Bob Turner, Union Pacific senior vice president-Corporate Relations. "We are pleased to provide a refreshed online format as another channel to connect with the people, businesses and communities with whom our operations intersect."
Report highlights include:
- Achieving a company-best annual reportable personal injury rate and decreasing reportable derailments by 7 percent year over year.
- Hiring more than 1,700 military veterans, representing 28 percent of new employees, up from 24.6 percent in 2013.
- Conducting more than 4.8 million miles of visual track inspections and 222,000 miles of electronic track inspections to prevent derailments.
- Increasing spending with diverse suppliers by about 5 percent compared with 2013.
- Nurturing a diverse high-quality workforce through Employee Resource Groups and robust career development programs.
- Helping customers eliminate an estimated 35.8 million metric tons of greenhouse gases by choosing rail over truck transportation.
- Completing 45 utility conservation projects, saving the energy equivalent to that consumed by more than 260 U.S. homes annually.
For more information on these initiatives and an overview of Union Pacific's goals as they relate to meeting the nation's dynamic and growing freight transportation needs, view the report at www.up.com.
ABOUT UNION PACIFIC
Union Pacific Railroad is the principal operating company of Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE : UNP ). One of America's most recognized companies, Union Pacific Railroad connects 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country by rail, providing a critical link in the global supply chain. From 2005-2014, Union Pacific invested more than $31 billion in its network and operations to support America's transportation infrastructure. The railroad's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Coal, Industrial Products and Intermodal. Union Pacific serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers, operates from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways, connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major Mexico gateways. Union Pacific provides value to its roughly 10,000 customers by delivering products in a safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible manner.
SOURCE Union Pacific