OMAHA, Neb., Oct. 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- In the golden age of steam locomotives, trains were tracked using a timetable and a pocket watch. Converging old and new technology, Union Pacific's legendary steam locomotives now can be tracked with the touch of a screen. The free UP Steam app is available at Apple's App Store in iTunes for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users.
Combining new technology and Union Pacific's historic steam locomotives, the UP Steam app offers users the chance to keep up with the locomotives on their latest excursions.
App features include:
- Real-time GPS location of Union Pacific's steam locomotives.
- Up-to-the-minute schedules of the latest Union Pacific steam excursion.
- Notification if Union Pacific steam is scheduled to be within 50 miles of the user's current location.
- Photos, videos, descriptions and history of Union Pacific steam locomotives No. 844 and No. 3985.
- The ability to submit photos taken with an iOS device for inclusion in the Union Pacific Facebook photo album.
- Real-time Tweets tied to twitter.com/up_steam.
- The ability to "check in" with the Union Pacific's steam locomotives using Foursquare.
In addition, the app includes an "About Union Pacific" section describing the company's operations, shipping information and an overview of the products Union Pacific routinely ships.
About Union Pacific
Union Pacific Corporation owns one of America's leading transportation companies. Its principal operating company, Union Pacific Railroad, links 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country. Union Pacific serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers and provides Americans with a fuel-efficient, environmentally responsible and safe mode of freight transportation. Union Pacific's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Energy, Industrial Products and Intermodal. The railroad emphasizes excellent customer service and offers competitive routes from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways. Union Pacific connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major gateways to Mexico, making it North America's premier rail franchise.
SOURCE Union Pacific