WASHINGTON, Jan. 15, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band will participate in the 57th Inauguration of the President of the United States on Jan. 21, 2013. This marks the Marine Band's 54th consecutive inaugural appearance, a tradition that dates back to Thomas Jefferson in 1801.
Providing the inaugural soundtrack since 1801, the Marine Band provides music for the swearing-in ceremony, including "Hail to the Chief" and "Semper Fidelis," composed by the Marine Band's legendary 17th Director John Philip Sousa. At the conclusion of the ceremony, the Marine Band assumes its position in the parade procession to lead the second division down Pennsylvania Avenue. The band will conclude this momentous day with a performance at the Commander-in-Chief's inaugural ball.
The Marine Band can serve as a source for the following topics:
- Marine Band Director Colonel Michael J. Colburn is the music adviser to the White House. He provides musical insight for events such as inaugurations, State Dinners and Arrivals, and other White House functions.
- Marine Band members hail from 39 states and can speak about their individual experiences both for the 2013 and previous inaugurations. Some members have participated as far back as the Carter administration.
- Marine Band Historian Master Gunnery Sgt. Michael Ressler can provide anecdotes about "The President's Own" and its relationship with the presidents throughout its 215 year history.
- Master Gunnery Sgt. William L. Browne will participate in his second inauguration as the 37th Drum Major of the Marine Band. The Drum Major leads the band in the parade. His unique uniform includes the bearskin hat, a mace with the Capitol Dome on the top, and a baldric that contains the names of the major battles and campaigns that the Marine Corps has been involved in throughout its history.
- Press are invited to attend the Marine Band's rehearsal for the swearing-in ceremony held from 9-11 a.m., Thursday, Jan. 17, and ceremonial drill rehearsal for the parade from 9:30-10:30 a.m., Friday, Jan. 18, at the Marine Barracks Annex, 7th and K Streets, SE, Washington, D.C. 20003. To RSVP, please call Marine Band Public Affairs at (202) 433-5809.
About the Marine Band
The Marine Band is America's oldest continuously active professional musical organization. Founded in 1798, the band has performed for every U.S. President since John Adams. Known as "The President's Own" since the days of Thomas Jefferson, the Marine Band's primary mission is to provide music for the President of the United States and the Commandant of the Marine Corps.
Contact Info: Marine Band Public Affairs Office
SOURCE The President's Own United States Marine Band