WASHINGTON, Aug. 22, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The United States Mint will join National Park Service officials Tuesday, August 30, to launch the ninth coin in the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program honoring Vicksburg National Military Park. The ceremony will take place 9:30 a.m. Central Time (CT), at the USS Cairo Museum located on the grounds of the park. Following the ceremony, the public can exchange their currency for $10 rolls of the Vicksburg National Military Park Quarter.
WHAT: Presentation of the Vicksburg National Military Park Quarter and Coin Exchange
WHO: Al Runnels, Chief of Staff, United States Mint
Sarah McCullough, Mississippi Development Authority Division of Tourism
Michael Madell, Superintendent, Vicksburg National Military Park
Walt Grayson, Reporter, WLBT TV-3 and Mississippi Public Broadcasting
WHEN: Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 9:30 a.m. (CT)
WHERE: USS Cairo Museum
Vicksburg National Military Park
3201 Clay Street
Vicksburg, Miss. 39183-3495
Note: There will be no onsite parking at the USS Cairo Museum. Parking will be provided in designated areas along Union and Confederate Avenues in the park. Shuttle buses will be available to transport visitors to and from the event. The shuttle service will begin at 7:15 a.m. and run every 15 minutes. Visitors may enter the park through either Clay Street or Fort Hill entrance gates.
The evening before the launch ceremony— Monday, August 29—the United States Mint will hold a Coin Forum, where the public can express their views about future U.S. coinage and learn about upcoming United States Mint coin programs and initiatives. The Coin Forum will be held 7 p.m. at the Vicksburg National Military Park, Visitor Center Auditorium, at 3201 Clay Street.
The America the Beautiful Quarters Program, authorized by Public Law 110-456, is a multi-year initiative to honor 56 national parks and other national sites. Each year, the public will see five new national sites depicted on the reverse (tails side) of the America the Beautiful Quarters. The United States Mint will issue these quarters in the order in which the honored site was first established as a national site.
- A digital image of the Vicksburg National Military Park quarter is available at: http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/?action=Photo#AmericaTheBeautiful
- Additional information about the America the Beautiful Quarters Program is available at: http://www.americathebeautifulquarters.gov
- Information about the United States Mint is available at: http://www.usmint.gov
- Additional information about Vicksburg National Military Park is available at: http://www.nps.gov/vick/index.htm
- On the Web: www.newsInfusion.com Search Keywords: U.S. Mint Vicksburg National Military Park
SOURCE United States Mint