BOSTON, Feb. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
"The terrible tragedy highlights the inadequacy of the codes for carbon monoxide detectors in commercial spaces. In the wake of Saturday night's tragic events, I have instructed our operations team to conduct an exhaustive safety check at all our restaurants. This includes not only ensuring that we meet local codes as we did in Huntington, but putting a plan in place to exceed them in order to safeguard everyone. Stronger safety measures must be put in place, and I pledge to be at the forefront of this effort.
We are devastated by the news of the carbon monoxide poisoning at Walt Whitman Mall (Huntington, Long Island) and the death of our General Manager Steve Nelson last night. Our thoughts and prayers are with Steve's family and all those who were affected. Steve's tragic death is a shock to all of us at Legal Sea Foods. He was one of the finest people we've ever had the pleasure of working with.
We have arranged for grief counselors to work with our associates, as well as their family and friends, to help them through this extremely difficult time. We have also reached out to the Nelson family to offer assistance and our deepest condolences. Of course the restaurant remains closed, and we continue to work with local officials.
We extend our heartfelt sympathies to the Nelson family and all those affected. This is a very sad day."
President & CEO, Legal Sea Foods
SOURCE Legal Sea Foods