WASHINGTON, Aug. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Islamic Relief USA, a Washington, D.C.-area relief and development organization, today announced that it has increased its fund raising goal for the Pakistan flood victims to $2 million due to the worsening conditions in the region.
"As the numbers of those affected by these floods increase, so too must the amount we raise to help those in need," said Abed Ayoub, CEO of Islamic Relief USA. "Time is of the essence here. More lives will be lost if we don't immediately help provide the basics for their survival. We ask that everyone donate now."
Islamic Relief launched its appeal on July 30 and has been providing emergency assistance to survivors in part, by:
- Helping to evacuate families from flooded towns and villages
- Distributing tents and emergency items in Nowshera and Mardan districts in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, and Sibi in Balochistan province.
- Purchasing 850 temporary shelters to benefit nearly 6,000 people.
- Constructing latrines at a camp in Nowshera.
- Distributing 3,570 family hygiene kits in Nowshera and Mardan districts to benefit 24,990 people and conducting hygiene sessions.
- Purchasing additional food, kitchen kits and hygiene kits for ongoing distributions including 4,000 food packets.
- Distributing 2,850 house hold kits (containing mattresses, mosquito nets) to benefit 19,950 people.
- Distributing 2,850 kitchen sets (containing cooking pots, utensils etc) to benefit 19,950 people.
- Assessing needs in the remote Neelum Valley in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, accessible only by helicopter.
Donations can be made at www.IslamicReliefUSA.org.
Islamic Relief has been working in Pakistan and the Pakistani-administered regions of Kashmir for nearly two decades. In 2005, Islamic Relief helped raise more than $70 million in aid for the victims of the deadly earthquake in northern Pakistan.
Inspired by Islam's values on charitable giving and community development, IR USA is a relief organization dedicated to alleviating poverty through disaster relief and development projects in the U.S. and globally for communities regardless of color, race, religion, or creed.
For the seventh consecutive year, Islamic Relief USA has been awarded four stars by Charity Navigator, the largest charity evaluator in the country. This prestigious award puts Islamic Relief among the top 2.25 percent of charities in the nation.
Note: Islamic Relief USA's CFC (Combined Federal Campaign) number is 10194.
Media Contact: Rabiah Ahmed at 202-439-1441 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Islamic Relief USA