SALT LAKE CITY, Aug. 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- USANA Health Sciences is proud to congratulate its Women's Tennis Association Brand Ambassador, Monica Puig, on capturing historic gold for Puerto Rico at this year's Summer Games.
Puig defeated World No. 2 Angelique Kerber of Germany in three sets (6-4, 4-6, 6-1) to become the first athlete — male or female — to win a gold medal for Puerto Rico, and the first Puerto Rican female to ever medal at the Summer Games since the nation's first appearance in 1948.
"I still can't describe how it feels to be an Olympic champion and to have won the gold medal in Rio! The last two weeks have been incredible, and the support I've received from USANA and fans around the world means a lot to me," said Puig. "I am very honored to have a great team of people that work with me every day to make me better and help me succeed. I can't wait to continue to work hard and hopefully have a strong finish to the 2016 season."
Puig has been a Brand Ambassador for USANA since 2014, and was one of more than 70 USANA-sponsored athletes that competed in Brazil earlier this month.
Other Notable Highlights from Team USANA:
- American David Verburg helped Team USA capture gold in the men's 4 x 400 relay.
- French handball athlete Allison Pineau scored five points over Russia to help secure silver for her country.
- Diver German Sanchez of Mexico captured silver in the men's 10m platform event.
- Bo-kyeong Jeong of Korea took home silver in the women's 48kg judo competition.
- Korea's Gwak Dong-han captured bronze in the men's 90kg judo event.
- Madison Keys of the United States came in 4th in women's singles tennis.
- New Zealand's Brooke Neal finished 4th overall in women's field hockey.
- American Alev Kelter scored 33 of the U.S. Women's Rugby Sevens' 98 points during the tournament, including the first goal ever for Team USA. Team USA placed 5th overall.
"We congratulate Monica on her historic performance and all of our sponsored athletes on their achievements this past month," said USANA Chief Communications Officer Dan Macuga. "We are honored to partner with such elite and diverse athletes, and look forward to watching them grow in their respective sports as they prepare for their next steps in their athletic careers."
Learn more about the 1,000+ athletes who trust their health to USANA at USANAathletes.com.
*The mentioned athletes are either distributors or dedicated USANA product users who have received compensation and/or complimentary USANA products for their partnership with USANA.
Founded in 1992, USANA Health Sciences (NYSE: USNA) is a U.S.-based nutritional company that manufactures high-quality supplements, personal care and healthy products in its FDA-registered facility in Salt Lake City. Learn more about USANA by visiting our website http://www.usana.com or the official USANA blog http://whatsupusana.com.