MINNEAPOLIS, July 9, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- To commemorate the return of Valspar Corporation's headquarters to the historic Mill District area in Minneapolis, the Valspar Foundation today announced $65,000 in grants to five non-profit organizations: MacPhail Center for Music, Mill City Museum, Minnesota Center for Book Arts, the Mill City Farmers Market and the Guthrie Theater.
"As Minneapolis is Valspar's global headquarters community, we are pleased to support the Mill District neighborhood and the organizations that help make this a vibrant community," said Gary E. Hendrickson, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Valspar. "These organizations contribute to our local and regional culture in many ways and help make Minneapolis a great place to live and work."
The Valspar Foundation grants will help fund the non-profit organizations' ongoing programs and enable more people to enjoy their activities and offerings.
- MacPhail Center for Music: One of the nation's largest community music schools, MacPhail provides music education to more than 13,000 students of all backgrounds and abilities with the mission of transforming lives and communities.
- Mill City Museum: Once the world's largest flour mill, the museum helps visitors learn about the intertwined histories of the flour industry, the Mississippi River and the city of Minneapolis.
- Minnesota Center for Book Arts: The Center's mission is to lead the advancement of the book as an evolving art form, achieved through programs that support creators, learners and admirers.
- Mill City Farmers Market: Located in the Mill City Museum, the Market inspires and nurtures a healthy community by building a local, sustainable and organic food economy in a vibrant, educational marketplace.
- Guthrie Theater: Founded in 1963, the Guthrie is an American center for theater performance, production, education and professional training, presenting both classical literature and new work from diverse cultures.
Valspar's headquarters were moved back to the Mill District neighborhood in January 2015 after an extensive historic renovation was completed of its building at 1101 South 3rd Street in Minneapolis. The building, built in the early 1900s, is part of a four-building campus and serves as a global hub for product development and performance testing to support customers around the world.
Valspar: If it matters, we're on it.®
Valspar is a global leader in the coatings industry providing customers with innovative, high-quality products and value-added services. Our 10,500 employees worldwide deliver advanced coatings solutions with best-in-class appearance, performance, protection and sustainability to customers in more than 100 countries. Valspar offers a broad range of superior coatings products for the consumer market, and highly-engineered solutions for the construction, industrial, packaging and transportation markets. Founded in 1806, Valspar is headquartered in Minneapolis. Valspar's reported net sales in fiscal 2014 were $4.5 billion and its shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol:VAL). For more information, visit www.valspar.com and follow @valsparCo on Twitter.
SOURCE Valspar Corporation