Digital Teams to Co-Create Original Diabetes Related Content
NEW YORK, Jan. 16, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Veria Living (www.veria.com), a multiplatform media brand devoted to showcasing healthy lifestyle and wellness programming, announced today that one of its affiliated entities has acquired dLife, the leader in diabetes self-care and a community network and resource for 100-million-plus individuals with prediabetes or diabetes, as well as their families. Covington Associates acted as exclusive M&A advisor to dLife during this acquisition.
The acquisition provides new opportunities for the Veria Living brand to build upon recent momentum in the health and wellness space. During 2013, the Veria Living television network – which now offers 100% original wellness programming – saw a 50% increase in distribution. On the digital side, growth has also been significant, with Veria.com traffic growing 15-fold, unique visitors increasing more than 1000% and average time spent on the site growing by 15% per month over the past year.
According to Veria Living CEO Eric Sherman, the digital teams from both Veria Living and dLife will initially look to co-develop and co-produce new, original diabetes-related content. Veria Living and dLife will also look for ways to leverage existing library content in the health and wellness space, with advertising sales overseen by Veria Living SVP of Advertising Sales Russell Maitland.
The Westport, Connecticut-headquartered dLife, an integrated multimedia company, consists of:
- dLife.com – the award-winning leading independent website serving the needs of the diabetes community;
- dLifeTV – solutions, cooking tips and a look at life with diabetes through the eyes of real people offering their stories. Episodes are available at dLifeTV.com on Sundays, 7pm/ET and 4pm/PT, and are co-hosted by comedian and actor Jim Turner (HBO's ARLI$$, MTV's Randee of the Redwoods) and journalist and news anchor Benno Schmidt (NBC, CBS, CNN) – both of whom share their own stories of living successfully with diabetes;
- dLife Foodstuff and dLife dBrief – two weekly newsletters offering practical lifestyle content;
- dLife Educator – engages high practice load practitioners through a series of direct mail, email and the dLife Educator Update e-newsletter;
- dLife Diabetes Mobile Companion – an award winning app that allows users to manage their diabetes on-the-go
- dLife Connect – pharmacist point-of-care co-branded magazine that is available at 4,700 Rite Aid locations in 31 states; and
- Healthcare Services – A behavior modification platform for population health for health plan, pharmaceutical and medical device clients
Noted Mr. Sherman, "The acquisition of dLife is yet another step in following our Chairman Subhash Chandra's mandate to make Veria Living the destination for all things related to health and wellness across all media platforms. We look forward to leveraging dLife's expertise in providing practical solutions to the challenges of managing a life with diabetes and working with Sean (Foster) and his team to develop a larger platform for this important dialogue."
Remarked dLife CEO Sean Foster, who will now report to Mr. Sherman, "dLife is excited to become a key component of Veria's global outreach. The collective strength of a combined organization with such complementary solutions will enable us to expand upon our legacy of leadership in the diabetes management industry within the U.S. and internationally."
dLife is the leader in diabetes self-care and a community network and resource for millions of people with prediabetes, diabetes, their caregivers and healthcare providers. dLife engages this growing population in positive and proactive self-care across a variety of media channels. Its award-winning outlets include dLife.com, the leading online diabetes destination, attracting over one million unique visitors each month and featuring the widest and deepest variety of original content and resources anywhere; dLifeTV, the only web series dedicated to people with diabetes, available on an on-demand basis; popular mobile applications; as well as other consumer and professional programs driving proactive diabetes self-management. dLife has been recognized with numerous media and editorial awards.
About Veria Living
Veria Living is a leading media brand devoted to showcasing healthy lifestyle and wellness programming and related content across multiple media platforms in the United States and beyond. Its forward-thinking 24/7 television network offers the world's largest line-up of first-run, original wellness programming – connecting viewers in a contemporary and accessible manner to the benefits and joys of living a healthy lifestyle. In the U.S., the Network is available to Cablevision/Optimum (Channel 164), DISH Network (Channel 218) and Verizon FiOS (Channel 162) and RCN subscribers, as well as in Chicago (Comcast Channel 389), Philadelphia, San Diego and Atlanta. Veria.com extends the Veria Living philosophy through recipes and nutrition, holistic health tips and original online video. Additionally, VeriaNaturals.com features all-natural skin, hair and body products and ayurvedic health supplements.
Headquartered in New York, Veria Living was founded by Subhash Chandra, Chairman of the worldwide Essel Group of companies, which includes Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (reaching 750 million global viewers across 169 countries). Veria Living's mission is to passionately advocate for quality and vitality of life.
For dLife -