DUBLIN, April 3, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Viasat Inc. (NASDAQ: VSAT), a global communications company, today proudly opened its new expanded office in Dublin, Ireland, which is expected to house up to 250 Viasat team members focused on developing next-generation software and technology for Viasat's target broadband markets. At today's official office opening, Rick Baldridge, Viasat's president and chief operating officer will be joined by Minister John Halligan T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation and the Department of Education and Skills, and other distinguished guests, including IDA Ireland and Enterprise Ireland, as well as customers, partners and the growing Viasat team.
The expanded Dublin office represents a signal of growth for Viasat. Today, the Company has nearly 100 team members located in Dublin primarily developing innovative software solutions for the commercial aviation industry. Viasat expects to more than double its headcount in Dublin over the next few years, and extend development beyond connected aircraft software to include broader software and mobile application support for international maritime customers, European residential broadband and Wi-Fi markets, government systems as well as support for Viasat's next-generation ultra-high capacity satellite platform, known as ViaSat-3.
"We are expanding in Dublin as part of our overall objective to strengthen our regional service capabilities, in order to enhance our collaboration with customers and partners throughout Europe, and further build software and technology expertise in the region," said Rick Baldridge. "We believe the strong talent base located in Ireland will greatly expand our technical and business presence in Europe, and enable us to rapidly respond to new global broadband opportunities across a number of industry sectors."
Speaking about Viasat's expanded Dublin office, Minister of State John Halligan T.D. said, "I am pleased to see the prominent role the European Space Agency (ESA) and IDA Ireland can play in supporting the growth of companies, like Viasat, throughout Europe. Ireland is a region where companies can thrive through fostering ongoing research and innovation."
Welcoming the announcement, Martin Shanahan, CEO, IDA Ireland said, "Ireland is recognised internationally as a leading location for companies in the software sector. Viasat's decision to establish this European Software Centre of Excellence in Dublin is an endorsement of the talent pool and business environment here."
Over the past few years, Viasat has strengthened its commitment and grown its presence in Europe. The Company has formed a number of strategic partnerships as well as developed new technologies for the European satellite broadband and space industries:
- In March 2018, Viasat announced the development of a new phased array flat panel antenna at its office in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- In December 2017, Viasat opened an Amsterdam, Netherlands office as a research and development (R&D) center dedicated to the development of satellite access node (SAN) subsystems, embedded cloud-based software and ground segment infrastructure for the ViaSat-3 satellite platform. The Amsterdam location also handles customer premises equipment logistics for Europe.
- In November 2017, Viasat and the ESA announced Project AIDAN, a Public Private Partnership to develop key components for the ViaSat-3 satellite communications system with European industry.
- In March 2017, Viasat and long-term partner Eutelsat Communications closed their joint venture, enabling Viasat to launch a new consumer broadband retail service in Europe.
- In 2017, Viasat expanded its office in Farnborough, U.K., creating a satellite communications R&D facility.
- In April 2016, Viasat launched the High Capacity Satellite (HCS) Applications Factory in partnership with ESA to rapidly develop new products, applications and HCS-enabled services, with work being performed in Viasat's U.K. and Switzerland offices.
- Over the past two-years Viasat announced a number of new commercial airline customers leveraging its connectivity solution over Europe, including: EL AL Israel Airlines, Finnair, Icelandair and SAS. The Company is also delivering aviation-grade software to a number of European airlines including Aer Lingus and Ryanair.
For more information on Viasat's presence in Europe, visit: viasat.com.
Viasat is a global communications company that believes everyone and everything in the world can be connected. For more than 30 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the world communicate. Today, the Company is developing the ultimate global communications network to power high-quality, secure, affordable, fast connections to impact people's lives anywhere they are—on the ground, in the air or at sea. To learn more about Viasat, visit: www.viasat.com, go to Viasat's Corporate Blog, or follow the Company on social media at: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter or YouTube.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that are subject to the safe harbors created under the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Forward-looking statements include statements about the future growth of Viasat in the European market, including potential expansion of teams, customers and partners; the Company's ability to build on commitments made to existing customers; its ability to expand its services and support efforts in the region; and references to expected capacity, service, speeds, coverage and other features of the ViaSat-3 class satellite platform. Readers are cautioned that actual results could differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause actual results to differ include: contractual problems, product defects, manufacturing issues or delays, regulatory issues, technologies not being developed according to anticipated schedules, or that do not perform according to expectations; and increased competition and other factors affecting the commercial and defense sectors, generally. In addition, please refer to the risk factors contained in Viasat's SEC filings available at www.sec.gov, including Viasat's most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date on which they are made. Viasat undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements for any reason.
Copyright © 2018 Viasat, Inc. All rights reserved. All other product or company names mentioned are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. Viasat is a registered trademark of Viasat, Inc.
SOURCE Viasat, Inc.