BOULDER, Colo., Dec. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- According to research from VictorOps, DevOps is a growing trend from enterprise IT to SaaS solution providers. Additionally, the primary research shows that collaboration is essential as IT teams work toward faster time to resolution. Systems have grown too complex to continue limiting problem solving to just a few people in the IT organization, and collaboration using both mobile and desktop technology is a key component of success.
In the inaugural VictorOps State of On-Call Report released today, VictorOps surveyed 500 IT professionals to look at the challenges and general state of what it means to be on-call. The report examines everything from what teams are doing to decrease mean time to resolution (MTTR) to the prevalence of alert fatigue and the use of monitoring, automation and incident lifecycle management tools.
"What we found by digging into the challenges around being on-call is that collaboration is essential to solving problems quickly," said Todd Vernon, co-founder and CEO, VictorOps. "The top ways of dealing with system problems were collaborative in nature. With new tools, technologies, and philosophies, IT can solve problems faster with less havoc if they start focusing on collaboration as part of their remediation efforts."
Some additional findings from the report that support the value of collaboration include:
- The top three things that people use to solve problems all involve communication and collaboration between people – Chat, One-to-One Phone Calls and Conference Calls
- 64 percent of respondents believe that one quarter of alarms are likely false. This is causing alert fatigue (63 percent report this as an issue). This fatigue is being managed with larger on-call teams
- Nearly half say it takes most companies an average of 10 - 30 minutes to resolve customer-facing issues - 33 percent said that resolution takes up to an hour
- A wider array of disciplines are now on-call to support system problems. Teams are made up of IT, Support, Operations, DevOps, and Development
- 58 percent are using infrastructure automation tools and of those 75 percent say these tools have made being on-call easier
- More than half say documentation, reporting, and project post-mortems improve the remediation process
For more information and data on the issues and triumphs of IT professionals, visit the VictorOps website or to download the VictorOps State of On-Call Report.
VictorOps is a team collaboration software platform designed for DevOps teams that combines the power of people and data to solve IT problems in real-time. The VictorOps platform seamlessly orchestrates team situational awareness, incident creation, escalation, notification, and remediation with team members regardless of physical location or time of day. Privately held, VictorOps is backed by Costanoa Venture Capital and Foundry Group. For more information, visit our website or follow the company on Twitter @GoVictorOps.