MUMBAI, India, March 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Visteon Corporation (NYSE: VC) and 3M (NYSE: MMM) today introduced to the India market an approach to integrating advanced features and innovations for cars, designed to meet the preferences of drivers and the needs of vehicle manufacturers in this fast-growing market.
Based on extensive consumer research in India, the two global companies collaborated on the Growth Market Project, leading to today's unveiling of a demonstration car − called the Growth Market Car. The car shows how technologies can be integrated to enhance the driving experience, while meeting cost and packaging requirements of vehicle manufacturers in India. Key themes of the Growth Market Car are modular design − with certain interior components and systems that can be installed or excluded based on driver preference; and scalable platforms − engineered to allow a wide range of features to be added cost-effectively.
Visteon and 3M experts ensured the styling, design and features of the Growth Market Car appeal to Indian consumers while offering maximum flexibility.
Visteon technologies demonstrated on the Growth Market Car include these innovations:
- Climate − A compact heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) unit and thinner heat exchangers contribute to a roomier interior.
- Electronics − The scalable instrument cluster features an integrated control panel (electronic or mechanical) to operate the vehicle's entertainment system, climate and other features.
- Interiors − The instrument panel can be full-size or two-thirds size, depending on whether consumers choose to eliminate the panel in front of the passenger seat for more space. Also, a rear-facing fan on the back of the center console cost-effectively eliminates the need for separate rear-seat ducts.
- Front and rear lighting – A halogen front-lighting source features dynamic bending for "seeing" around turns.
3M innovations on the demonstration car include:
- Vehicle Personalization – Solutions include 3M™ Interior Trim Film for changing the look of hard plastic parts, 3M™ Paint Protection Film to protect the exterior finish, and 3M™ Paint Replacement Film and 3M™ Scotchcal™ Vehicle Graphics to enhance the vehicle exterior.
- Light Management – 3M™ Light String and 3M™ Light Management Lens create both ambient and functional solutions by enabling even illumination and reduced complexity in both the interior and exterior spaces.
- Sound Management – An optimized, lightweight solution that can reduce the overall weight of the vehicle is implemented with Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation after an in-depth analysis of the vehicle.
- Attachment Solutions – 3M™ Structural Adhesives, 3M™ Acrylic Foam Tapes, 3M™ Structural Bonding Tape and 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners enable innovative joining methods, proven performance and process flexibility.
"Visteon conducted extensive research to better identify the mobility wants and needs of today's consumers in India," explained Tim Yerdon, Visteon global director of innovation and design. "New automotive solutions were born from these findings and, together with 3M, were integrated into this demonstration car to share with manufacturers, so they can consider implementing these technologies in future models."
Ideas for the technologies came from thorough research. In 2010, Visteon conducted extensive research with Indian consumers to define craftsmanship as it relates to automotive interior components and overall interior harmony and design. Furthermore, consumer clinics were conducted where drivers were observed interacting with their vehicles and given an opportunity to talk about their driving experiences and how they perceived quality. This research resulted in an outline for the Growth Market Project, yielding a compilation of technologies considered by target consumers as having high value and quality, and designed to reflect local needs.
Mr. S. Sashidharan, vice president – Transportation Business, 3M India, stated, "This is our second initiative with Visteon and we are pleased to be part of this exciting project. As a company, 3M has always focused on Customer Inspired Innovation and the GMV is an initiative to co-create and collaborate on technologies to provide the best consumer experience. 3M and Visteon's ongoing relationship leverages the strengths of both companies, and results in more relevant applications of technologies to India and other target markets."
The Growth Market Car will be demonstrated to manufacturers in India, as well as Japan, China, Brazil, and Europe.
This is the second major collaboration between Visteon and 3M on technology demonstration vehicles. The initial project in 2008 yielded two solution-based retrofitted prototype vehicles that addressed six social trends: comfort, connectivity, convenience, health, flexibility (individualism) and sensory. Read more about Visteon and 3M technologies at www.visteon.com/innovate.
Visteon has four manufacturing plants and two engineering centers in India, with more than 3,000 employees.
Visteon Corporation is a leading global automotive supplier that designs, engineers and manufactures innovative climate, electronic, interior and lighting products for vehicle manufacturers. With corporate offices in Van Buren Township, Mich. (U.S.); Shanghai, China; and Chelmsford, UK; the company has facilities in 26 countries and employs approximately 26,500 people. Learn more at www.visteon.com.
A recognized leader in research and development, 3M produces thousands of innovative products for dozens of diverse markets. 3M's core strength is applying its more than 40 distinct technology platforms – often in combination – to a wide array of customer needs. With $23 billion in sales, 3M employs 75,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 65 countries. For more information, visit www.3M.com or follow @3MNews on Twitter.
SOURCE Visteon Corporation