FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., Jan. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Voyages to Antiquity, the new destination cruise line introduced by former Orient Lines chairman Gerry Herrod, has been named Best Educational Cruise Line for 2010 by Shermans Travel Media. The online travel marketing site announced the list of top 10 cruise lines in various categories on their website and included them in the Top 25 Newsletter sent to over 4 million subscribers.
Voyages to Antiquity features cruises tracing the classical civilizations of the Mediterranean, Aegean, Adriatic, and Red Seas. Inaugurating service on May 4, 2010, the company offers 9 itineraries and 16 departures where only a small ship can take guests to a myriad of fascinating destinations. Cruise programs have been meticulously planned to provide the very best in cultural travel, including an extensive roster of expert lecturers, supported by a team of classical history graduates. Dedicated lecture topics will bring to life the history, archaeology, art and cultures of the "cradle of civilization" and the Mediterranean region. A sample roster of expert lecturers includes:
- John Julius Norwich, renown historian and author of "The Middle Sea", tracing the development and impact of the ancient cultures in Rome, Greece & Egypt
- Mary Beard, Professors of Classics, University of Cambridge and author of "Pompeii; Life of a Roman Town"
- Michael Vickers, Professor of Archaeology, University of Oxford, Curator of Greek and Roman antiquities at the Ashmolean Museum
Voyages to Antiquity features extraordinary value with cruise fares including shore excursions, shipboard gratuities and wine with dinner. Free Air is offered from select east coast gateways, with low add-ons ($99 or $199) from over 70 North American gateways. Recently announced inaugural season booking incentives include:
- No supplement for single occupancy in most categories, on all sailings, except Nov 12.
- $1,000 savings per stateroom on cruises: May 17 & 31, June 28, July 26 and August 9;
- $500 savings per stateroom on cruises: May 3, June 14, July 12, August 23;
- Air taxes & surcharges included in the cruise program fares.
Aboard the Aegean Odyssey, 350 guests will enjoy boutique-style cruising in a comfortable, relaxed environment. "Concierge class" services and amenities are available in the 82 brand new staterooms and suites in categories A-G, ranging from 200-500 sq.ft. The dining experience features continental cuisine augmented by regional foods and wines obtained during each voyage. The relaxed atmosphere is enhanced by open seating dining in the main restaurant and alternative dining venues at the Terrace Cafe and Tapas on the Terrace.
Voyages to Antiquity brochures may be requested, viewed or downloaded at www.voyagestoantiquity.com. For reservations and information call 877-398-1460. Office hours are 9:00am to 5:30pm (Mon-Fri) Eastern Time.
SOURCE Voyages to Antiquity