BENTONVILLE, Ark., Dec. 1, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Walmart announced today that it is offering every day low prices and select savings on many of the food ingredients necessary to create personalized homemade baked gifts for less than $5. The retailer is helping families stretch their holiday budgets, as many shoppers plan to give tokens of appreciation to extended family, friends and co-workers this holiday season.(1)
A recent survey of a panel of Walmart Moms(2) shows that six out of ten moms are considering or planning to give a homemade gift this holiday season, including homemade baked treats. Creative customers can find almost everything they need, from ingredients to bake ware, to make the perfect homemade present by shopping at Walmart's in-store Baking Centers, in most stores nationwide.
"We know our customers are looking for thoughtful gift solutions that fit into their holiday budgets," said James Beck, senior director, marketing, Walmart U.S. "We have created a variety of tools and ideas for great homemade baked gifts this holiday season, for less. This will enable customers to make tasty treats for extended family and friends, while also spending quality time with their families baking over the holiday season."
Sweet Treats for Under $5(3)
Walmart offers recipe ideas from old fashioned gingerbread to butter toffee bars. These recipes, baking tips and more can be found at the retailer's YouTube channel, www.youtube.com/walmart, and Walmart.com.
- Sugar Cookies – recipe makes 36 cookies – 3 separate gifts
- Fantasy Fudge – recipes makes 80 pieces – 3 separate gifts
- Old Fashioned Gingerbread – recipe makes 12 pieces – 3 separate gifts
- Snickerdoodles – recipe makes 60 pieces – 2 separate gifts
- Butter Toffee Bars – recipe makes 48 bars – 4 separate gifts
- Jolly Snowmen Faces – recipe makes 24 cookies – 2 separate gifts
- Chocolate Holiday Bears – recipe makes 16 cookies – 2 separate gifts
Families getting their bake on can also check out "Walmart My Holiday," a special holiday iPhone app designed to help customers find the best gifts at the best values. In the coming weeks, "Walmart My Holiday" will also feature holiday baking tips and recipes.
Quality Ingredients for Holiday Baking(4)
Ensuring customers have all the top ingredients to bake their favorite holiday treats, Walmart's Baking Centers offer cookie mixes, chocolates, spices and more, including:
- 12 oz. Nestle® Toll House® Morsels
- 17.5 oz. Betty Crocker® Cookie Mix
- 10.5 oz. Jet-Puffed MINI Marshmallows
- Keebler® Ready Crust® Graham Pie Shell
- 14 oz. Reddi-wip Original Whipped Cream
- 48 oz. Crisco Vegetable Oil
- 16 oz. Fisher Pecan Halves
- 9.7 oz. Splenda Granular Sweetener
- 2.37 oz. McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- 1 oz. McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1.1 oz. Ground Ginger
- 7 oz. Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
Baking Tools for Less(5)
In addition to all the ingredients needed for sweet and sugary gifts, Walmart's Baking Centers offer baking tools such as mixers, cupcake makers and seasonal bake ware while supplies last.
- Mainstays™ Nonstick Bake ware – $3.87
- Ceramic Bake ware Gift Set – $9
- Wilton® Seasonal Bake ware – $9
- Baby Cakes™ Cupcake Maker – $24
- Oster® 12-Speed Stand Mixer – $79
(1) National Retail Federation, Economy Still Impacting Shoppers, but Glimmers of Hope Appear in First NRF Holiday Survey, October 2010.
(2) According to Walmart Customer Insights, November 2010.
(3) Prices based on recipes found on Walmart.com if ingredients are purchased at Walmart.
(4) Prices and availability may vary in Alaska, Hawaii, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.
(5) Walmart also always matches the price of any local competitor's printed ad for an identical product right at the cash register. Prices and availability may vary in Alaska, Hawaii, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE : WMT ), or "Walmart," serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 8,400 retail units under 55 different banners in 15 countries. With fiscal year 2010 sales of $405 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. A leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity, Walmart ranked first among retailers in Fortune Magazine's 2010 Most Admired Companies survey. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/Walmartnews. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com.