NEW YORK, Sept. 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- TENGA Co. Ltd. today announced results from its second annual United State(s) of Masturbation survey, compiling data from 1,200 Americans age 18-74 on their habits and attitudes toward masturbation, sexuality, general health and wellbeing. The survey found that frequent masturbators, or those who masturbate at least four times per week, visit the doctor less often due to illness, have higher body confidence, are more likely to be employed and have triple the number of orgasms than those who masturbate less frequently (or not at all).
According to the survey, 42 percent of all respondents masturbate at least once a week, with 20 percent doing so four or more times per week. The survey assessed key trends and attitudes across gender, generation, sexual orientation and relationship status.
Results also indicated that 89 percent of respondents who have talked to a significant other about masturbation have had an overall positive experience. And while nearly 50 percent of people believe openly discussing masturbation would make society better, only 32 percent have ever had that conversation with a close friend, indicating that a level of embarrassment lingers around the topic. However, 57 percent of those currently in a committed relationship say they have talked about it with their significant other.
"I'm thrilled to see that so many Americans are taking their sexual wellbeing into their own hands. And even more happy to learn that over half of the survey respondents are comfortable discussing masturbation with their partners," says Dr. Chris Donaghue, PhD, LCSW, CST and TENGA brand ambassador. "We still have a long way to go to destigmatize sexual health education in the United States, but this survey indicates that frequent masturbators may experience a number of positive emotional and physical health benefits."
Key findings from the survey about frequent masturbators, those who masturbate at least four times per week, include:
- Frequent masturbators spend approximately 19 minutes masturbating per session, six minutes longer on average than those who masturbate three times or less per week.
- Frequent masturbators are 13 percent more likely to have a gym membership, with 41 percent saying they work out at least four days per week.
- Those who masturbate four times a week or more are 23 percent more likely to agree that masturbation before exercise or sports helps their athletic performance.
- Frequent masturbators are eight percent more likely to be employed, either full or part-time, than others.
- Frequent masturbators are 15 percent more likely to be comfortable discussing masturbation with partners whom they're not in a relationship with, and nine percent more likely to be comfortable discussing with partners in a committed relationship.
Key findings from the survey about overall respondents include:
- 47 percent of all survey respondents who have ever masturbated agree it's a "good idea" to masturbate before a first date. Frequent masturbators are 16 percent more likely to masturbate before a job interview and 11 percent more likely before big family gatherings.
- 66 percent of Americans age 18-74 agree that masturbation is "Good for your health," and 58 percent of those who masturbate see it as a part of their health and wellness routine.
- Masturbating with a partner is relatively common: only 39 percent of Americans age 18-74 say they have never masturbated with a partner.
- One-third of Americans age 18-74 currently own at least one sex toy, including 24 percent of men and 41 percent of women.
In releasing these results, TENGA encourages Americans to masturbate frequently for a healthier, more confident life. TENGA also hopes to elevate the conversation around masturbation, prompting people to discuss the topic with loved ones, such as friends and significant others.
TENGA will be at the Sex Expo in Brooklyn on September 23-24, 2017, sharing results from the survey, speaking with media and celebrating their one-year anniversary of being in the United States. Dr. Chris Donaghue, certified sex therapist, will also be on stage Saturday, September 23 at 12:45 p.m. to share highlights from the survey and offer tips on how to talk about masturbation with your partner.
Eddie Marklew, Global Marketing Manager at TENGA, says, "It's exciting to see based on our 2nd annual United State(s) of Masturbation findings how American sentiment around masturbation has evolved over the past 12 months. And we're looking forward to celebrating our one-year anniversary of business presence in America with our friends at Sex Expo."
About The United State(s) of Masturbation Survey
From August 31 -September 6, TENGA surveyed 1,200 Americans age 18-74 to better understand Americans' opinions on topics related to general health and well-being, sexuality, masturbation, and male sex toys. Quotas were set by age, which was separated into generational groups, and gender.
TENGA is a line of adult novelty products for men, with a focus on non-obscene product design as a tool for safer, better pleasure. Since their release in 2005, TENGA has sold over 57 million units worldwide and is now highly regarded as one of the leaders in products for male pleasure in both adult and mainstream markets, and is the No. 1 Brand of Male Masturbation products by units sold, selling over triple of their closest competitor. For further details, visit www.tenga-global.com.
About Dr. Chris Donaghue
Dr. Chris Donaghue is a Doctor of Clinical Sexology and Human Sexuality, Doctoral trained in Clinical Psychology, Licensed Clinical Therapist, and a Certified Sex Therapist. Dr. Donaghue specializes in individual and couples sex and marital therapy, as well as sexual compulsivity, sexual anorexia, sexual dysfunctions, and non-traditional sexuality, identities, and relationships. He is a member of American Association of Sex Counselors, Educators, and Therapists (AASECT) and the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS). For more information please visit, www.drchrisdonaghue.com.
Tel: (212) 614-4221
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE TENGA Co. Ltd.