PARSIPPANY, New Jersey, April 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Creates 3rd largest global generics company -
- ~$8.0 billion anticipated pro forma combined revenue in 2012 -
- Significantly increases scale of Watson's ex-U.S. generic business -
- Accelerates revenue and earnings growth -
- Immediately accretive to non-GAAP earnings, before synergies -
- Greater than $300 million annual synergies anticipated within 3 years -
- Strong combined cash flow allows for rapid pay-down of debt -
- Additional earnout contingent on Actavis 2012 performance -
Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NYSE: WPI) and Actavis Group today jointly announced that Watson has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately held Actavis for approximately EUR4.25 billion upfront. As a result of this acquisition, Watson will become the third largest global generics company with 2012 anticipated pro forma revenue of approximately $8 billion.
Actavis, which as a stand-alone company was positioned for strong growth, has a commercial presence in more than 40 countries and markets more than 1,000 products globally. Actavis has approximately 300 projects in its development pipeline and manufactured more than 22 billion pharmaceutical doses in 2011. Actavis has more than 10,000 employees worldwide and had 2011 revenues of approximately $2.5 billion.
"The acquisition of Actavis will create the 3rd largest global generics company, substantially completing Watson's expansion as a leading global generics company. Actavis dramatically enhances our commercial position on a global basis and brings complementary products and capabilities in the United States," said Paul M. Bisaro, President and CEO of Watson.
"In a single, commercially compelling transaction, we more than double Watson's international access and strengthen our commercial position in key established European markets as well as exciting emerging growth markets, including Central and Eastern Europe and Russia," Bisaro continued. "The transaction achieves Watson's stated strategic objective of expanding and diversifying our business into a truly global company. Once the transaction is completed, approximately 40% of our generic revenues will come from markets outside of the U.S."
"This transaction is financially compelling, accelerating Watson's top and bottom-line growth profile for the foreseeable future. It will be immediately accretive to non-GAAP earnings before synergies, and we estimate that annual synergies of greater than $300 million can be achieved within three years. Between now and closing, we will work closely with Actavis' management to prepare for a rapid and seamless integration so that Watson can maximize the benefits of this acquisition and capitalize on the significant potential to ensure long-term growth for our shareholders."
"Today marks a milestone in the history of Actavis. For two years I have had the pleasure of working together with the newly formed Actavis management team and our stakeholders who have led the company into a new phase," said Claudio Albrecht, Executive Chairman and CEO of Actavis. "We have successfully placed Actavis in a strong position to meet the future growth opportunities in the generic pharmaceutical industry."
"Building on this strong foundation, the combination of Watson and Actavis will result in a company of the size required to position itself as a strong player in the generic pharmaceutical industry. The two companies are an ideal complementary fit that will enable the combined company to enhance its position among the industry leaders. Additionally, together Watson and Actavis will be well placed in the fast-paced and dynamic biosimilars market," Albrecht added.
Key Benefits of the Transaction
Commercially Compelling Transaction
Dramatically Enhances Watson's International Presence
- The acquisition combines two growing, successful and profitable companies into a stronger global player that will benefit from sustainable revenue and earnings growth, and strong cash flow. With this transaction, Watson's international revenues are expected to increase from approximately 16% of total generic net revenues at the end of 2011 to approximately 40%.
Expanded Global Market Presence
- The combined company will hold a top 3 position in 11 markets and a top 5 market position in 15 markets. The combined company will have commercial operations in more than 40 countries. Actavis' exceptional global strength, including leading market positions in key established commercial markets and emerging markets in Central and Eastern Europe and Russia, complements Watson's position in established markets including the UK, France and Australia.
Expanded Portfolio and Pipeline
- The acquisition will expand Watson's core leadership position in modified release, solid oral dosage and transdermal products into semi-solids, liquids and injectables. The result will be a broader and more diversified global product portfolio, and an expanded development pipeline. When combined the company will have 45 First-to-Files and 30 exclusive First-to-Files in the U.S.
Financially Compelling Transaction
Significantly and Immediately Accretive
- The transaction is expected to be immediately accretive to non-GAAP earnings, before synergies. Including synergies, Watson anticipates the acquisition will be greater than 30% accretive to 2013 Watson non-GAAP EPS, with accretion accelerating in 2014 through organic growth and additional synergies.
Synergies Provide Added Benefits
- Watson expects to achieve annual synergies of $300 million within three years following transaction close, predominantly consisting of SG&A, R&D and corporate cost synergies.
- Watson expects additional longer-term cost synergies related to optimizing the supply chain and additional longer-term revenue synergies derived from product launches in new markets. Watson also expects to benefit from a lower pro forma effective tax rate of approximately 28%.
Strong Combined Cash Flow Allows for Rapid Debt Repayment
- Cash flow of the combined business is anticipated to permit Watson to pay down debt quickly to achieve a leverage ratio of below 3.0x debt to adjusted EBITDA in 2013 and approximately 2.0x debt to adjusted EBITDA in 2014. Watson expects to maintain its investment grade rating from all three rating agencies following the close of the transaction.
Additional Capabilities, Global Management/Employee Strength
Strengthens 3rd Party Business
- The combination of Watson's Specifar Pharmaceuticals third-party business, with Actavis' MEDIS third-party business will result in the creation of the largest out-licensing company with a broader range of products.
Experienced, International Management Team
- The combination of Watson and Actavis dramatically expands the management expertise necessary to drive international growth in established and emerging markets. Actavis also brings considerable integration experience to the combination, having focused extensively on integration of historical acquisitions since going private in 2007, including consolidating corporate functions, merging CEE and Western Europe operations and implementing project management across the value chain.
Expanded Global Team
- Combined, Watson will have more than 17,000 employees globally. The Company at acquisition close will have approximately 20 manufacturing facilities and more than a dozen R&D centers. With enhanced size and scale, the combined company will be well positioned to capitalize on its commercial, R&D, manufacturing and customer service capabilities.
Under the terms of the agreement, Watson will acquire Actavis for approximately EUR4.25 billion. The total consideration will include a cash payment of approximately EUR4.15 billion, as well as the assumption of a maximum of EUR100 million in revolver debt, which is to be repaid at closing.
Actavis stakeholders could also receive additional consideration, contingent upon the company achieving negotiated levels of 2012 results. The contingent payment, if fully earned would result in the delivery of up to 5.5 million shares of Watson common stock. This contingent payment was valued during the negotiations at EUR250 million, based on a per share price of $60, using a Euro to U.S. dollar exchange rate of $1.32. The shares granted, if any, would be issued in 2013.
Watson intends to fund the cash portion of the transaction through a combination of term loan borrowings and the issuance of senior unsecured notes. Watson currently has bridge loan commitments from BofA Merrill Lynch and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. pending execution of its final financing plans. Watson anticipates that the combined company will generate substantial free cash flow, enabling Watson to pay down debt quickly to below 3.0x debt to adjusted EBITDA by 2013 and to achieve a level of approximately 2.0x debt to adjusted EBITDA in 2014.
Approvals and Timing
The acquisition will be subject to customary conditions, including review by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) under the provisions of the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976, as amended ("HSR Act"), as well as approvals outside of the United States. Pending approvals, Watson anticipates closing the transaction in the fourth quarter of 2012.
BofA Merrill Lynch is acting as exclusive financial advisor and Latham & Watkins LLP is acting as legal advisor to Watson in connection with this transaction.
About Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a leading integrated global pharmaceutical company. Watson is engaged in the development, manufacture and distribution of generic pharmaceuticals and specialized branded pharmaceutical products focused on Urology and Women's Health. The Company is also developing biosimilar products in Women's Health and Oncology. Additionally, we distribute generic and branded pharmaceuticals through our Anda Distribution business.
In 2011, Watson was the third largest generic pharmaceutical company in the United States. We also have commercial operations in key international markets including Canada, Western Europe, Asia/Pacific, South Africa and Latin America. Watson distributes approximately 8,500 stock-keeping units in the U.S. directly to more than 60,000 customers through our Anda Distribution Division.
For press release and other company information, visit Watson Pharmaceuticals' Web site at http://www.watson.com.
Actavis is one of the world's leading generic pharmaceutical companies, specializing in the development, manufacture and sale of generic pharmaceuticals. The company has operations in more than 40 countries, with over 10,000 employees. At present, Actavis has a portfolio which includes more than 1,000 medicines present on the market and registered in more than 70 countries.
Frank Staud, Executive Vice President,
SOURCE Actavis Group