VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Oct. 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
WHAT: With October brings Halloween, the scariest time of year for many orthodontists, and a nightmare for kids that wear metal braces . . . especially when they have to tell mom and dad (who may have invested between $4500-$7000 on treatment) that they broke a wire, bent a bracket, or worse.
Every Halloween, orthodontists see a significant increase in the number of emergency visits. Among the worst offenders are sugary, stick-to-your-teeth candies and gum, but Halloween party favorites like bobbing for apples and eating crust from a pizza can also wreak havoc on braces.
Renowned, Vancouver-based Orthodontist Dr. Sam Daher is available to offer "sink your teeth into" advice for Happy Halloween haunting. He can comment or elaborate on the following:
- Candy and treats orthodontists fear most and why; examples of the worst and the most surprising offenders
- Tips or treats, including suggestions for orthodontic-friendly options
- Tips for staying out of the orthodontist chair in between scheduled appointments – one of the easiest ways is with removable braces, like new Invisalign Teen, that lets patients enjoy foods and activities, and makes oral health easier than with other braces options
- Graphic details of the frightening damage Halloween treats can cause to the different types of braces
- Horror stories about what happens when kids that wear braces neglect their oral health . . . with the increased candy consumption during Halloween, patients need to be extra vigilant about brushing, rinsing, and flossing, as well as make sure they remove pieces of candy or treats that can get stuck in braces and between teeth, which leads to tooth decay and gum disease
WHO: Vancouver-based orthodontist Dr. Sam Daher is a Certified Specialist in Orthodontics. A bilingual native of Montreal, Dr. Daher received his Doctor of Dentistry degree (DDS) from McGill University and his Specialty degree in Orthodontics (M.Sc. in Orthodontics) from the Universite de Montreal.
Dr. Daher teaches advanced workshops for Orthodontists in Canada and USA, and is an innovative leader and pioneer in Invisalign technologies.
HOW: To schedule an interview with Dr. Sam Daher, please contact: