Where in the World is Innovation in Sustainability?
Verizon announces 2014 finalists in Powerful Answers Award's Sustainability category.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:00 ET
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Nov. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon knows that innovative ideas can come from anywhere. Our 2014 Powerful Answers Award (PAA) received thousands of entries from around the globe – each one vying for the chance to win $1 million and change the world through innovations in education, transportation, sustainability and healthcare. Out of more than 1,870 submissions, ten inspiring finalists were chosen in the Sustainability category. Here are some of the facts and figures:
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20141118/159477-INFO
Each of the Sustainability finalists presented their ideas to a panel of expert judges for a chance to win $1 million and work with Verizon to turn their idea into a reality. Follow their journey and stay tuned for the big winner reveal in late January. Who will take the top prize?
- Edyn: A smart garden system that monitors and tracks environmental conditions, helping farmers and gardeners grow more food with fewer resources. With advanced tracking technology and intuitive design, the Edyn smart garden system keeps you connected to your garden or farm so you can grow healthier plants.
- Paper No. 9: A solution that provides access to sustainable fabrics on a real time basis by manufacturing innovative and bespoke textiles for luxury designers and e-commerce solutions that will decrease the carbon footprint of the luxury sector.
- FOCUS Foods Inc: A new agricultural system that aims to help increase the availability of healthy foods in underserved neighborhoods, address the public health crisis and create a more sustainable, environmentally-friendly agricultural process.
- d.light: A solution designed to leapfrog grid infrastructure and convert the high costs of distributed solar energy into affordable monthly payments, providing consumers a clean, reliable and cost-effective source of energy.
- Solight Design: Adaptable and environmentally sustainable sensor-driven and programmable solar-powered lights.
- Eco-fuel Africa: Technology that provides homes in Africa with cleaner and cheaper cooking fuel made out of biomass waste. The fuel helps reduce the rate of deforestation, create sustainable local jobs, save users money and reduce indoor air pollution.
- Green Social Bioethanol: A solution that provides clean, affordable fuel to the world's poorest rural communities.
- Energy Intelligence: Through technology that helps generate cheap and clean electricity, Energy Intelligence helps reduce electricity expenses and greenhouse gas emissions of industrial facilities.
- Efficax Energy: Technology that makes it possible to connect new solar panels to the existing heating system in a house, thereby helping reduce the investment cost for solar energy and making it available to the masses.
- Radiator Labs: A low-cost, smart energy-storage and distribution system that can store, dispense and re-distribute energy based on hyper-local demand.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with more than 106 million retail connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries. A Dow 30 company with more than $120 billion in 2013 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of 178,500. For more information, visit www.verizon.com/news/.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless
Share this article