BENTON HARBOR, Mich., April 16, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Whirlpool Corporation released its 2018 Corporate Sustainability Report, highlighting the company's progress and accomplishments in the 2018 operational year, with particularly strong results in its efforts to reduce the amount of natural resources required in manufacturing its appliances. Whirlpool Corporation's sustainability agenda encompasses stakeholder engagement, executive accountability and science-based methodology to focus on actions that drive absolute and positive environmental and social impact.
"In 2018, we continued to reduce the amount of water and energy used by our products, accelerated our progress toward the goal of zero waste to landfill across the enterprise, and maintained strong connections in our communities through social responsibility and volunteerism," said Marc Bitzer, chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Whirlpool Corporation. "2019 marks nearly 50 years of Whirlpool Corporation's commitment to sustainability, and we're proud that our experience and results prove that sound corporate citizenship and environmental performance are good business."
Milestones and progress outlined in the 2018 Corporate Sustainability Report Summary include:
- World Class Manufacturing: This program brings a strong focus to the environmental and energy usage in Whirlpool Corporation's manufacturing facilities. Through the program, the company addresses, prioritizes and tracks efficiency improvements, helping contribute to a greenhouse gas emissions reduction of seven percent from 2017 to 2018 in Whirlpool plants. That seven percent is the equivalent of emissions from nearly 10,000 homes' electricity use for one year.
- Zero Waste to Landfill: Throughout Whirlpool's operations, progress has accelerated toward the goal of zero waste to landfill across the enterprise, with eight manufacturing facilities in multiple regions already achieving zero-waste status. 2,128 tons of waste were diverted from landfills in 2018.
- Global Emissions Management System: To improve transparency about product emissions, Whirlpool has developed a new global emissions management system. The system determines a global footprint for the company's products, unifying over 12 unique systems into one global reporting capability. This system will track data from a baseline year of 2016, greatly improving the ability to act strategically to lower the footprint of the company's product portfolio. The significantly improved system will lead to the potential for improved science-based goal setting in 2019.
- Resource Efficiency: Whirlpool's emphasis on resource efficiency has led the company to develop design-for-environment tools to deliver more sustainable products that use more recycled content. These capabilities will help fulfill the commitment to use 100 percent recycled content on major plastic components in Whirlpool-made European products by 2025, as well as to use a majority of recycled-content steel.
- Water Reduction: Whirlpool's collective work, improved processes, and technology have resulted in a reduction in water consumption of nearly 10 percent from 2017 to 2018 in the company's manufacturing facilities. That's enough to run 56 million dishwasher loads, 14 million loads of laundry, or fill 240 Olympic swimming pools.
- Investing in Communities: For two decades, Whirlpool has partnered with Habitat for Humanity, with total cash and in-kind donations totaling more than $107 million and over 197,300 ranges and refrigerators to new Habitat homes in the U.S. and Canada.
- Volunteerism: In 2018, Whirlpool employees contributed 268,000 volunteer hours.
"At Whirlpool Corporation, we think of sustainability as an investment and responsibility to all our stakeholders, from consumers, to employees, to the planet," said Ron Voglewede, Whirlpool's director of global sustainability. "Our employees take that responsibility seriously and played an enormous role in creating more sustainable products and facilities in 2018."
For more information on Whirlpool Corporation's public sustainability commitments, priorities and progress, visit: http://assets.whirlpoolcorp.com/files/Whirlpool-Corporation-2018-Sustainability-Report.pdf
About Whirlpool Corporation
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world's leading major home appliance company, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 92,000 employees and 65 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2018. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, JennAir, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. Additional information about the company can be found at WhirlpoolCorp.com, or find us on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.
Whirlpool Corporation Additional Information
Certain statements in this press release relating to environmental commitment fulfillment expectations constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of U.S. federal securities laws. These statements reflect management's current expectations regarding future events and speak only as of the date of this press release. Forward-looking statements involve significant risks and uncertainties, should not be read as guarantees of future performance and will not necessarily be accurate indications of whether or not, or the times at or by which, events will occur. Actual performance may differ materially from that expressed or implied in such statements. Reference should also be made to the factors discussed under "Risk Factors" in Whirlpool Corporation's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Although the forward-looking statements contained in this press release are based upon what are believed to be reasonable assumptions, investors cannot be assured that actual results will be consistent with these forward-looking statements, and the differences may be material. These forward-looking statements are made as of the date of this press release and, except as expressly required by applicable law, Whirlpool Corporation assumes no obligation to update or revise them to reflect new events or circumstances.
SOURCE Whirlpool Corporation