SALT LAKE CITY, Feb. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- A leader in nutrition and now a leader in Winter Games gold, USANA Health Sciences, Inc. (NYSE: USNA) congratulates all of its sponsored athletes on their remarkable feats in Sochi. If @TeamUSANA was a country, it would have placed second in the overall medal standings with a record 30 podium appearances—13 gold, 7 silver and 10 bronze—and tied with Russia for the most gold hardware of the Games. USANA's sponsored athletes set the bar high for future competitions, marking their places in history in nearly 10 events, including four inaugural Winter Games competitions.
"Hundreds of athletes trust their health to USANA and this medal count shows why," said USANA Chief Communications Officer Dan Macuga. "To finish second overall is astounding and we couldn't be more proud of all of our Team USANA athletes on their performances in Sochi."
- USANA Brand Ambassador Meaghan Mikkelson-Reid secured Winter gold for the second consecutive time after Canada's women's hockey team defeated the USA, 3-2 in overtime.
- The U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association scored 17 medals (record 8 gold, 3 silver and 6 bronze) during the Games, including historical gold for both men and women, in the inaugural ski halfpipe and slopestyle snowboarding events.
- U.S. Speedskating short track athletes J.R. Celski, Eddy Alvarez, Chris Creveling and Jordan Malone took home the team's only medal of the Games, capturing silver in the 5000m relay.
- Erin Hamlin of USA Luge secured bronze in the women's single event, becoming the first American luger to medal at any Winter Games.
- Speed Skating Canada captured 1 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze medals during the Games, two of which were earned by long tracker Denny Morrison.
- Five USANA-sponsored athletes of South Korea's Speed Skating and Short Track teams secured five medals during the Games, three of which were won by Park Seung-hi in the 1000m, 3000m Relay and 500m.
- U.S. Women's Ski Jumping's Jessica Jerome, Lindsey Van and Brand Ambassador Sarah Hendrickson competed in the Winter Game debut of women's ski jumping, placing 10th, 15th and 21st respectively.
*The mentioned athletes are either distributors or dedicated users who have received compensation for their partnership and/or complimentary USANA products.
Founded in 1992, USANA Health Sciences (NYSE: USNA) is a U.S.-based nutritional company that manufactures high-quality supplements, personal care and energy products in its FDA-registered facility in Salt Lake City. Learn more about USANA by visiting our web site http://www.usana.com or the official USANA blog http://whatsupusana.com.
Media Contact: Ashley Collins Executive Director of PR, Social Media and Communications (801) 954-7629 media(at)us.usana(dot)com